Muscial Instruments

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
JaimeC

Re: Muscial Instruments

Post by JaimeC »

Julia Thanks - Very interesting........does anyone have any other ideas for instruments? My son has asked about playing guitar, but he doesn't have much use of his left hand. Is there anything else that can be played one-handed? He could probably support an instrument with his left hand/arm.
Jaime

Renka

Post by Renka »

there are one handed recorders available, but they are quites expensive - good fun for children.
also think about percussion instruments, many are suitable for one handed use and in most orchestra's there is a shortage of percussion musicians so they are very much in demand
Francine_Litz

Post by Francine_Litz »

jaime - with the guitar we flipped the strings on a kid's guitar so that maia can learn the chords with the right hand and try to strum with her left (affected) hand. She cannot hold a pick for more than a second or two so I'm trying to find a way to secure a pick to a velcro strap - haven't figured it out yet but I'm trying! If you have any good ideas pass them on. I'm also trying to track down a guitar teacher who can teach "lefty" side and help us figure it out. hahaha Maia wants to play electric guitar like Joe Satriani (her rock idol!)... I'm sure that if I spent more time with it and dug deeper we'd be able to find the way to do it. (That day will come when I'm done fighting insurance compnies!)

whitneys mom

Post by whitneys mom »

Ok, This discussion would happen to be my forte. I was in band for years, and just so happened to play a few instuments. French horn was my main one. In fact, my old band director is already wanted to prepare for whitney to be in his band lol. He said since its her right hand, she can play French Horn just like mommy. He also suggested some other instruments that some BP kids may have some sucess with. Things like some percussion(Bass drum mainly), melodics(bells, chimes, xylophone: the sticks very in size, and dosen't take much to just tap the bars) Other things that may be more challenging include trumpet(for right hand) Trumbone and Baritones for left, The only thing with the last three is that the other hand just supports the instrument. The Baritone your could rest on your lap. I can't think of any others right now, but hope this kinda helps. I guess after this, everyone will think of me as the band geek lol he he he.

Amanda
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Julia, at what age did he start playing? My son has robi and is almost 5. Is he too young?
Thanks!
njbirk

Post by njbirk »

And don't forget that the voice is also an instrument!

Nancy
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

This site has a big range of adapted instruments and they will adapt others on request. http://www.flutelab.com/fotos/fluit/fluit.htm its in the Netherlands but I understand they do mail order.
Nancy's right about the voice tho, try singing rounds in Maori, something my kids force me to do on long journeys!