Chewing on fingers

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
lauramg77

Chewing on fingers

Post by lauramg77 »

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for something to put on my son's fingers. He chews on the fingers of the affected hand until they are sore and bleeding. It's like he doesn't even realize that he is chewing on them until they start to bleed. We have tried putting band-aids on all of his fingers and that doesn't work. We have tried putting the liquid to help you stop chewing your finger nails on his fingers, and that doesn't work either. Is this normal for children who have Erbs? Help--Please.
rachelcasa

Re: Chewing on fingers

Post by rachelcasa »

I don't have any answers, I am 32 years old and still chew on my fingernails. I don't know what the deal is. I think its just a nervous habit for me. I have tried all sorts of things for it. But, I will just chew right threw it. How old is your son? I'm sure you want to try something that won't hurt him, so make sure that its o.k. to ingest. Sally Hansen nail products have something but that sounds like what you have already tried. Sorry, I'll keep looking because I could use it too!!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jacob chewed on the tip of his thumb when he was 5 but eventually stopped. we just had to watch him constantly also. now at 9 he tells me he chewed it because it felt "funny" kind of like when your foot goes to sleep and he was hoping to get it to stop. he had the modquad when he was 4 with some scar tissue release so maybe that had something to do with the change in sensation.
LeeAnne

Post by LeeAnne »

Michaela would actually rip her finger nails out by the roots. I've posted about this before but here goes again for you new folks. Go to the health food store or pharmacy and get clove oil.They may have it at craft stores too but make sure it is a kind that is ingestible with no additives. It is made from cloves and is very bitter. It is also a natural antiseptic and aids in healing. I don't know if any of you are old enough to remember but dentist used to tell people to use cloves to aid in preventing dry sockets after tooth extractions.

Just put a drop onto each nail and massage it in morning and night. They WILL keep their fingers out of their mouths and since it is an oil it stays on the skin after hand washings. Also if they have healing nailbeds or skin they will heal faster from being kept moist from the oil instead of getting hard and scabby. Just give it a try. It was the ONLY thing that worked for us.
LeeAnne

Post by LeeAnne »

Also Michaela now says she gets a funny feeling down deep mear the bone like its "waking up". When that happens now we apply pressure to the nail by squeezing her finger tipand nail. That seems to work to help stop the sensation. Its just when they are so small they can't tell you that. When they are older and can tell us what it is making them want to bite it sure helps. so also try applying pressure when you see he wants to bite.
Joshua

Post by Joshua »

I have also posted previously on this topic. We have tried countless things including a psychological evaluation for anxiety, stress, self esteem, etc. With our 8 year old daughter I have come to the belief that:

A.) It is a habit that is hard for her to break
B.) It stimulates some deep feelings or nerves that can't be measured. (she has no sensation in her fingers)
C.) It may increase during times of stress or boredom.
D.) There may be other factors involved.

We now put bandaids on her fingers 2 to 3 times every day, remind her to tell us when the bandaids fall (or get pulled) off, wash her hand and fingers frequently with antibacterial soap and hope that she will outgrow it or learn to control the biting.

Joshua
Sophie's Mom

Post by Sophie's Mom »

For a while we also used a small neoprine handsplint. It fit over the hand and thumb. I can't remember now who makes these, but they have a website, and we got it through our physical therapist. Since it is neoprine, it was something she could bite on that would also protect her hand - this was good when things were really sore on her hand and she was really going at it (during teething time - like at age 1 - 1 1/2)...
She still does it now and then - it seems to get worse during new teeth. We try to remind her to be nice to her hand and show her the boo boos it makes - she looks at the boo boos and gives her hand a kiss instead.
- Tina
Kathleen Z

Post by Kathleen Z »

We also had to use the neoprene splint because my son would bite his thumb to the point of it getting infected. Completely covering it was our only option to let it heal. The neoprene glove from Benik prevented him from doing any further damage when he chewed on it, while also letting the wound breathe to heal. It did restrict his use of his hand to some extent, but it was necessary to let the infection heal.
lauramg77

Post by lauramg77 »

Thank you so much for reminding us again as for what to put on their fingers---I have posted in here before about the same topic. When I posted before, my son quit chewing on his fingers shortly after and we haven't really had a problem with it again until just recently. He started kindergarten about 4 weeks ago and that's when he started up again. So, I will definitly go out today and get some clove oil to put on his infected fingers. Thanks!
LeeAnne

Post by LeeAnne »

Your very welcome!LeeAnne