Childhood depression?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
blakesmom

Childhood depression?

Post by blakesmom »

Blake is almost 6yrs old, ROBPI and just started kindergarten this year. He has always been super outgoing, but lately is very depressed. He says that nobody will play with him at recess, and when he goes up to kids and asks if he can play with them, they say no or just ignore him and play with other kids. Today he came home and had gotten recess taken away for tomorrow(he wasn't very nice to a friend) and we told him to go to his room until we would be in to talk to him. He went in there and screamed and threw a temper tantrum. This is very unlike him. He said " I don't like my life, and I don't want to be in it anymore" He says he doesn't have any friends. He plays with our neighbor boy which is a few months older than him, and a couple of little girls that live nearby. He is just having a hard time making friends at school. I went to the school this morning and talked to his teacher about the no friends at recess thing and she said that she hadn't noticed it, but will pay more attention. It just really bothers me that he seems to be so depressed and only 6yrs old. I am going to call his pediatrician tomorrow and see what he says.

Anyone else have this trouble with their little ones?

Thanks,
Crystal S.
Francine_Litz

Re: Childhood depression?

Post by Francine_Litz »

Crystal - get a class directory and make plans for Blake for the weekend... ask him who he'd like to invite over and do something fun - maybe Chuck E. Cheese or bowling or something where they can just have fun without too too much conversation time... it's an ice breaker.... try to plan something like this at least once a week - different kids maybe - until Blake and the kids have a mutual attraction... it's possible that the kids all know each other already and are all paired up? Once he has a couple of buds his attitude might clear up BUT the words he is using is very serious and I would check in with a counselor as well.

just my thoughts about it....I have been going through similar with Maia...

here's another idea....maybe once he has a friend or two, one can join him in therapy? Therapists (may) enjoy this.(ask first of course)\

Another idea is to do an awareness thing in his classroom? like reading that book about differences...there's some good ideas in the awareness section - in the awareness handbook section - under schools.

good luck,
-francine
Tessie258

Post by Tessie258 »

Hello,
I tried to e-mail you but it came back to me...if you'll e-mail me or post your address I will e-mail you.
T.
olafferty@triconet.org
Lenni

Post by Lenni »

Hi , I want to wish you well and to let you know that you are doing the best you can! Do consider talking to the Doctor........I know you will do best for your child!
Joshua

Post by Joshua »

Our daughter loved school and had very good and supportive teachers until she got into the 2nd grade. She started coming home depressed and didn't want to go to school anymore. She complained about getting pushed around and teased. We had a couple of conferences with the teacher and the principal who took the attitude that that "Yes, kids can be cruel." and that, "Learning to deal with problems socially is part of the growing-up process"

Well... my daughter will have plenty of problems to deal with as she grows up even without the help that the local public school is offering (that of providing more problems). We begged our relatives and gave up a lot to afford to send her to a private school (a Waldorf school) and she loves school again.

We only get one childhood each and I want my children's to be a good one.

We have also found agood therapist for her to talk to a couple of times a year just to explore the possiblity that she may be having emotional problems that relate to her arm. So far she is a happy and healthy girl but I'm glad that she has someone that we trust outside of our family that she can talk to about things that she may not want to tell her parents.

6 or 7 or 8 years may seem young to be having stress or frustration or anger but these emotions are as real and serious as our own feelings as adults. We just have a way (the words) and a place (here) to express them and get some validation for them.

Joshua
Tessie258

Post by Tessie258 »

This is why we do homeschool.
T.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Oh Crystal. Just read your message, so sad. How is it going now?
My daughter went through something similar when she was being bullied (she's 7), schools here in the UK are meant to take this seriously as they have a legal "Duty of Care" which encompases issues such as bullying & a child's emotional wellbeing. We moved & so also moved schools, the new school is smaller & we have had no problem since with my daughter, although she frequently talks about the past incidents.
My eldest son (8, almost 9) found making new friends here difficult at first but we did the sleepover thing & had friends over after school.
He's just been voted as the year 4 representative by his class mates so it worked for him. I hope this gets sorted, let us know how it's going.
Best wishes. Pauline