bpi/winged scapula

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
admin
Site Admin

Re: bpi/winged scapula

Post by admin »

Kenny, you are not alone, there are many of us and not much help, many medical Drs do not think a winging scapula is a big deal. Wish they could experience it for a month or two! I am a member of a site called The Winged Scapula and we all are dealing with this, but from various causes. Mine is a result of a subclinical trap injury and an adverse reaction to a tetanus shot that inflamed the nerves and weakened the muscles in the shoulder girdle, I have been dx'd with Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (compression on the nerves of the brachial plexus due to the collarbone squeezing them) and RSD, which is sympathetic nerve dysfunction due to the vaccine injury. Here's the address:
http://groups.msn.com/TheWingedScapula

Ronin I am glad to hear this helped you, I really thought no one could get their shoulders even after this disaster! You give me hope! The pain due to muscle imbalance and strain is almost as bad as the nerve pn, then I have the cubital tunnel pain at the elbow and the RSD pain in the hand! Wd love to get rid of any or all, are there any takers? LOL! Seriously I wd love to hear more abt the procedure, who did it, if the surgery is still working good for you, what you went through before they agreed to do the surgery, the recovery, etc, etc! can you do all that in 50 words or less? Ha ha, I am the one writing books lately. But wd really like to invite you as well to come visit our group and give us the gory details, we so seldom hear any success stories.

Hope to see you both, and any other wingers!

Beth
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Kenny, I also have winging and belong to a web group of wingers. Please come visit us at:

http://groups.msn.com/TheWingedScapula

Ronin you are welcome too, and any other wingers. Would love to hear more details abt your operation, recovery and how you are doing now.

Love and hugs,

Beth
aidanpatrick

Post by aidanpatrick »

re winging scapula and anxiety:

I have also had a winging scapula for several years, 19 actually.
It has also caused a great deal of turmoil in my life.
Anxiety and depression are a daily event.
On November 5 2003 I am going to have a scapulothoracic fusion done in the UK.
This surgery is only used when several periscapular muscles are involved.
If only the serratus anterior is involved then a pectoral major split tendon transfer can be done.
There is also a new surgery in which the trapezius and latssimus dorsi muscles are transferred to the scapula.
There are two nerve surgeries.
There are also nerve surgeries such as neurolysis of the long thoracic nerve inthe region of the scalenes.
Also nerve release further down in the scapula region.

aidanpatrick
Nan in On

Post by Nan in On »

Just letting everyone know that the Winged Scapula forum Beth has mentioned is closing and is no longer accepting new members.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

hello, i understand what your going through as I have the same problem.If you would like to chat about it or know anything please email me so we can chat online.It makes me feel down also...........hope to hear from you.......regards wendy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

yes i have had it for about 2 months .
can you email me.I am very depressed and had many tests and dont know where to go now?people dont reliese how it affects our lives in just everyday things.Im feed up.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have the same problem that happened because of a deep tissue massage.Happened in feb .I feel so alone and depressed also as it has affected my life in so many ways.I dont know what to do next or what sort of doctor to see.can anyone tell me if the shoulder flat bone will ever sit back in the place it belongs and i will be normal again .
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Last week I visited a Dr. Susan Mackinnon in St. Louis about arm weakness, etc. that I thought was due to a brachial plexus injury. She noted that my scapula was winging out and recommended physical therapy. I don't want to put words in her mouth, but she basically suggested that I had a muscle imbalance with muscles on one side of my body stronger than on the other.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Last week I visited a Dr. Susan Mackinnon in St. Louis about arm weakness, etc. that I thought was due to a brachial plexus injury. She noted that my scapula was winging out and recommended physical therapy. I don't want to put words in her mouth, but she basically suggested that I had a muscle imbalance with muscles on one side of my body stronger than on the other.
Dave6543

Post by Dave6543 »

Went to Dr. Susan Mackinnon in St. Louis last week for what I thought was a brachial plexus injury (weak arm, headaches, etc.). Don't want to put words in her mouth, but she said I had a muscle imbalance that caused winging of the scapula. She recommended physical therapy.