Motorcycle Adaptions

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Mitch
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Left TBPI 03/06/01. Motorcycle accident

Motorcycle Adaptions

Post by Mitch »

Im desperate to get back on a motorcycle again! can any one give me advice how to adapt the controls. Ihave a Left BPI gaining shoulder function and i think my bicep is trying to come back, but nothing past the elbow. I would need some sort of splint and fixing to the handle bar?
Im hoping to ride a sport bike, ZX6R possilbly, i had my accident on an R1, But think a 600cc would be plenty for me at the moment.

Any advice ideas or suggestions, please e-mail me or post on this forum.
Cheers. Mitch
All or Nothing!!
John K

Re: Motorcycle Adaptions

Post by John K »

Hi Mitch

Left Bpi here too. I ride a custom Harley i built myself. i flipped the clutch handle to the right side and am working on an adaption to actuate the front brake with a thumb lever. I plan to use a cable to a remote mounted master cylinder hidden under the dash. My arm i just keep in my pocket but this is pretty crude. I just needed to see if I could do it.

Knowing its possible I think there are several better ways to ride. I think if I had the guts amputation would be the true solution. Here are some links to some mountian bike adaptations that could be easily adapted to a motorcycle.
http://www.mtb-amputee.com/
http://www.prostheticarm.com/

For now I am not quite ready to take that step. I have a customer that is building me an orthotic brace to help support my shoulder. It can be made with a elbow hinge that would lock into place. I havent quite figured out what use it would be to me since my hand cant hold the bars. But we are going to try with just supporting the shoulder first and see where we can go from there. I'll post more info if it works out.

Also check out these sites for more info.
http://www.nabd.org.uk/HomePage.html
national disabled bikers> good adaptation stories here

http://tbpiukgroup.homestead.com/index_1.html
another good site the forum has several motorcycle topics
lizzyb

Post by lizzyb »

Hiya Chris..lots of the members of the TBPI group have got back on their bikes with various adaptions. Have a look at the site and the messageboards there; I am hoping for a few more pics of adaptions to mo'bikes to add to the collection soon..

John is right, NABD are the people to see and talk to...they can advise on all the legal and insurance aspects of 'customising' (HA!)a bike too. As it happens, this weekend coming they are having a rally/party in Oxfordshire...many miles away for you I know, but if you would like more details, go to http://www.nabd.org.co.uk It is being held in the grounds of Cornbury Park which is near Woodstock; an absolutley beautiful part of the country. There should be one or two bikes there with left hand adaptions.

Hope to see you there..!

Liz b :0)
flix

Post by flix »

Can someone tell me what is involved in adapting a 1971 Triumph Bonneville 650cc motocycle from kick start to electric start? I have lost the use of my right leg and cannot ride the Bonnie until I overcome this problem. I have a Suzuki GN125cc with an electric starter but it is only up to taking very short rides--mostly running in-town errands.
jacko

Post by jacko »

Sell the Bonnie and get something reliable !!!!!!
ronin

Post by ronin »

kick 'er with your left leg---worked with my '74 chopper. Course when it kicked back it sucked really really bad.
tcrunck

Post by tcrunck »

Guess i am a tad bit more lucky, i have full use of my left hand *no shoulder, some tri and some bi*
I was on a fzr600 when i had my accident.

I since then decided to get back on a bike and get back into road racing. this year i won a #1 plate and placed 2nd in 3 other classes of road racing for the SMRI in new mexico www.smri-racing.org the key to riding these motorcycle with a TBPI is countersteering, and weight movement.. I control the bike with my right arm, counter steering for right hand turns *pulling in* and pushing out with my right hand and shifting my body weight to the left for left hand turns...
Take your time and know that you can do this!
Lindakids

Post by Lindakids »

I know many of you are going to probably go crazy about what I am going to write. My son had a root avulsion and has no use of his entire arm/hand 8 years ago. I do know how hard it is to go through what you all have had to go through. The disappointments and the pain among other things.

My question is, why would you want to get back on a motorcycle that got you where you are now with your injury? What if something happens again and you loose the use of the other arm? I understand why some of you would want to but my opinion and is only my opinion, why take the risk when you don't have to? There are many other things you can do. I know the whole things stinks what has happened but what if something worse happens? It just isnt something that you have to do to live a valued life..
Please don't take this the wrong way. I just felt I had to say it from a mother's point of view. From what doctors have said is that you should go easy on your uninjured arm as it needs to get you through life and will be working twice as hard as before. So why take the risk? Please help me understand.
Linda
karlos

Post by karlos »

If you crashed your car would you never drive again?
Especially if it wasnt your fault
As you say your not a biker so youll never understand
Paulo

Post by Paulo »

Hi Linda,
And is also the passion for bikes, motors etc. If you can get back on a bike, it makes you more contented with your self. And you don’t have to think about the arm, just focus your attention on the road.