Progress after surgery

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
julie715

Progress after surgery

Post by julie715 »

Hi all -
I haven't posted for a while but thought I would share that my son is making FANTASTIC progress after having muscle transfer-caps surgery in Feb. 2003 at Gillette in Minnesota. His humeral head now measures about 2/3 the size of the unaffected side, compared to 1/2 the size before surgery. He is CLAPPING, bringing hand to mouth, and doing lots of spontaneous two-handed activity. He raises his arm to 90 degrees, but while lying down, on his own he stretches all the way up over his head. Also he just turned 2 this weekend. Happy Birthday, Tristan!
Paula

Re: Progress after surgery

Post by Paula »

WOW THAT IS GREAT TO HEAR (READ) ABOUT THE PROGRESS. CAPS DONE SO YOUNG? AARON IS HEADING TOWARDS THE CAPS ALSO, JUST NEED TO FIGURE OUT A DATE I GUESS. HE HAD THE MOD IN DEC 02' AND HAS NOT PROGRESSED A WHOLE LOT IN SPITE OF HIS FULL THERAPY SCHEDULE AND ESTIM. SO MAYBE THE CAPS WILL GIVE HIM WHAT HE NEEDS?
KUDOS TO TRISTAN AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
HUGS
PAULA AND AARON
julie715

Post by julie715 »

Thanks, Paula! Tristan's shoulder was completely subluxated, which we discovered last Nov. I prepared myself for a long recovery, possibly even setbacks, but he had noticeably better range of motion within a few weeks of getting his cast off. Best to you both!
Julie
m&mmom

Post by m&mmom »

That's great news.
Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!

Cindy