Earning your life...

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
hopeless

Earning your life...

Post by hopeless »

Excuse me maybe it is a stupid question but I like to ask: How do you earn your life? Was it or is it difficult to find a job? And if you found a job do you have any reduction in taxes and are there any other easinesses provided by government or etc.?
Bye
jep98056

Re: Earning your life...

Post by jep98056 »

I decided during my teens that I couldn't work a physically demanding job so I went to college and earned an engineering degree. I retired after 34 rewarding years in the aerospace industry. I firmly believe that an education and training is key for OBPI victims to live a productive life.

John P.
hopeless

Post by hopeless »

I think you are lucky. I also earned an engineering degree after graduation in 1993 but couldn't find a job. Then I went to a company for a talk about a job. They needed an engineer. The man I talked asked "Can you drive a car?" I said "No." I told my disability he said "Oh! We need an engineer who can drive a car." After that I searched for job but there has been no open door. Now I am doing another job irrelevant to my profession. So I wish I were lucky like you...
jep98056

Post by jep98056 »

My injury is probably not as severe as yours and others that participate in the forums. For example, I am able to drive a car. One could argue that luck came into play to allow me to steer and shift gears. However, I believe that the recovery I've made is due to my parent's dedication and sacrifices to ensure that I made the maximum possible recovery. That wasn't luck. Someone said "Existence is what you find; life is what you create". There are many examples of men and women who overcame their disabilities to lead full and productive lives.

John P.
hopeless

Post by hopeless »

jep98056 in fact this is not luck maybe I used wrong word. I didn't have opportunity and I have never seen my parent's dedication. And I haven't found any help during my life. Maybe it is not bad, now I 'm living with no suppport from anybody else.

Anna G

Post by Anna G »

it is possible to drive a car with Erbs, I have a automatic car with an infer-red system which means when i hit the buton the signal is sent and the control starts to work. I may only be learning but it is possible.
Kathleen

Post by Kathleen »

I am right obpi and I also drive a car and I know many of the tbpi had to learn to drive cars one handed.

Hopeless I do understand that you feel that life has not given you a fair shake. I really understand that. I am the same age as John but females were not given equal opportunity for education and also my family died when I was very young. It was up to me to make the best with what I had.

I hope your getting help it is important not to let this injury become the reason you do not succeed in life. We should never allow ourselves to be defined by our arms. We are so much more than an arm. Granted our arms changed the course of our lives. When we were injured our dreams were still intact but our arms may not have allowed us to follow them. We just had to create new dreams perhaps even better ones. Please don't give up. You are lucky you have a good education and a profession and also lots of nice folks here who will support you and encourage you...

Kath
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

words of wisdom kath-well said :0)
Francine_Litz

Post by Francine_Litz »

Hopeless... I hope that one day soon you will change to alias... maybe to Hopeful?
sleepless_In_Ohio

Re: I used to drive a stick

Post by sleepless_In_Ohio »

I didn't have any problems driving a manual car. Now I drive an automatic. I am blessed. My parents were/are great and I work as a supplier development admin. for a major automaker. I have a BSBA degree from Xavier University. I wish I could have found a way to get some help paying for my school expenses.