Aquatherapy

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
jennyinsandiego

Aquatherapy

Post by jennyinsandiego »

Hi all,
First of all, thanks for all the well wishes,
Elizabeth went through mod quad with flying colors. Dr. Nath said her muscles popped up against gravity when stimulated ,even her wrist, YEAH! (she went in with just a slight shoulder shrug being her only movement) So we just need some time.
My question is, my insurance will cover aqua therapy, but the nearest pool is an hour away. So we figured we would buy something and can write it off next year. But our budget will only alow about 1500.00. Does anyone have any suggestions? I do plan to meet with the therapist in the water so I know what I am doing. But can I buy a jacuzzi? Do we buy an above ground pool? It should be heated right? Our house is really old and we don't have a bath tub, so that isn't an option. It will be cheaper to buy a pool. What am I not thinking of?
TIA for your help,
Jenny
Francine_Litz

Re: Aquatherapy

Post by Francine_Litz »

Jenny - you can keep you eye out for a used hot tub or jacuzzi - contact the stores in your area and they can keep you on the wait list for used equipment.

If the weather is pretty nice in your area, you can do an outdoor pool. The KD type of pool can handle the increased temperatures needed but a regular above ground pool that has a metal wall and a thin liner - that liner cannot handle the increased temperature.

http://www.kd.com/poolmain.html

http://www.qualityinflatables.com/infla ... pools.html

you MUST have LEVEL land to put the pool on
(if you don't, the supports break and it's an extremely unsafe situation - been there done that)

AND you can also do one of these in your bathtub!! http://www.conair.com/Products/detail.jsp?productID=114 (that's what I have in my tub - it cost $35 and it's really fun!)

-francine

ps - call the IRS to get an answer about the medical deduction on a pool - I think just a portion is deductible. But I'm not sure - so ask them.

jennyinsandiego

Thanks for the links re: pools-
Here is the link for the medical expenses deductions-

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf

so many things that we have to deal with fall under this, even education costs.
Jenny

Francine_Litz

Post by Francine_Litz »

thanks for the link jenny! I'm going to print it off now...

good luck with the pool...

btw - years ago when I was trying to get a pool for Maia, I wrote letters to pool companies and actually got a great response. I got an above ground pool donated for Maia but it was the metal kind with the thin lining interior. We were about to walk out of the store with it and I was telling the salesperson what it was for (I was going to put it in my garage for Maia) and he took the pool back because he said that the liner wouldn't hold the temperature and that it would melt and we would be flooded. Yikes!!

Then client donated a KD pool to us and it was summer then so I put it outside. We had a slight grade to the lawn. It worked out great for about one week. Then because of the slight grade EACH support cracked and broke and boom! gone.

Then I got the insurance company to pay for a membership at the local YMCA - but we got in there twice and Maia became violently ill - they had way too much chlorine... so that membership was lost.

Then we got a membership at the wellness center where I used to work - the pool used to be wonderful there - but the person who took care of it was no longer there. We got in the pool there and she was sick again. We tried it a second time and the water quality was so bad that I reported them to the health department and never went back.

So we have stuck to our bathtub since...and even with that, if our water softener is not working correctly Maia gets a severe reaction from our hard water! So we really have to keep on top of the water softener.

We are currently working on getting a swim spa into the garage for her. She's older now and with this last surgery much of her therapy should be in the water everyday. So we're going ahead (hopefully) with that. It'll be a no chemical situation (there are many non chemical alternatives available now) A swim spa is just like s small pool or jacuzzi that is longer and there are jets in it to form a current so that you can swim in place. I found only two companies that make something that's price effective and I've been able to get discounts from them for Maia's issues which is nice.

So my advice is to you is to try and ascertain if your child has any allergic reactions to pool chemicals first...then try to assess which route to go (better than I did! lol).... the bathtub might work out for a while btw...we have a lot of fun in the bathtub! seriously :)
ubpncathy

Post by ubpncathy »

Hi Jenny,
Have you checked into the Easter Seals Aquatic Program? We had a great program in San Diego that was offered at the Children's Hospital and Health Center pool where we took our daughter several years ago. Much cheaper than getting your own pool! For more information, contact Easter Seals in San Diego and ask for a referral to their aquatherapy program to see if they still offer it. Cathy
jennyinsandiego

thanks Cathy,
I'll check out the Easter Seals Program-
they made the gorgeous pool at Children's hospital into a parking lot this year. They are also closing the east county therapy branch so we will have to drive 1 1/2 hours each way if we use Children's still. They say budget cuts....too sad.
Jenny
Holly

Post by Holly »

Jenny,

I am in San Diego, too, and my daughters love swimming at the Rec Center pools. They may be a little crowded in the summer months (swimming lessons, etc.), but something tells me that they would likely let you in 30 minutes before or after closing to work with your daughter (probably for free). If you live anywhere near the Clairemont Rec Center or the new La Jolla Aquatic Center, they would both be very nice. I can vouch that they are very clean pools. Best wishes!

Holly
ubpncathy

Post by ubpncathy »

Hi Jenny and Holly,
Wow, I didn't know that about the pool at Children's! Well, it will be interesting to see where Easter Seals does their program. Also, there's a great kids' pool called Murray Callan Swim School. They have one in Pacific Beach and one in North County. Both of our girls learned to swim there. Now they're fabulous and strong swimmers, and that is so important because of the "water" town in which we live. The pool is 90 degrees...perfect for therapy pool, and they teach babies water safety and they're great with kids with special needs. Hope this helps and sorry to have directed you to an obsolete pool at Children's! Cathy
jennyinsandiego

Well I found out there is a therapy pool at the hospital itself. The one that got filled in was the one next to developmental services on Frost street. All of these others sound great but they are all over an hour from my house. We live in Lake Morena on the other side of Mt. Laguna. How important is the heat? it seems that everyone is just saying the swimming itself is important.
thanks,
Jenny