Shoulder Replacement Surgery

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Francine_Litz

Shoulder Replacement Surgery

Post by Francine_Litz »

WARNING - THIS IS EXTREMELY GRAPHIC
you honestly need a strong stomach to look at this
- these are pictures of the entire surgery -

http://www.extremities.org/patient_info/tsa.html
admin
Site Admin

Re: Shoulder Replacement Surgery

Post by admin »

Francine,
It's nice to know that our kids have another option out there if they need it sometime in the future! This surgery has already been proposed for Trevor if he needs it when he's older because of deterioration and possible arthritis as early as his 20's.
Thank you again.

Sincerely,
Gwen
Francine_Litz

Post by Francine_Litz »

Gwen - and that's exactly why I was looking it up....my question was so where do we go from here - what if Maia's shoulder joint just gets worse and worse.... I pray and hope that it won't..... and I also hope that in the next 15 years there will be great leaps and bounds in the medical field to help our kids...

-francine
CathyY

Post by CathyY »

Francine,
Oh my!!! Where did you get this? You know this is where Matthew is headed too, since the caps option was a bust. Wow...I have been thinking about replacement surgery but haven't had the nerve to actually delve into it. I'm trying to be optimistic about the future of this surgery, that they really refine it and get more range of motion. I understand that currently it is somewhat limiting (in ROM) after the surgery and that it is mostly done to relieve significant pain in arthritis patients, with the outcome resulting in pain relief and not necessarily imporved range of motion. Have you heard of anyone doing this successfully on younger patients now? But I know the future looks bright!
Hope all is well-
Cathy
Francine_Litz

Post by Francine_Litz »

Cathy I would think that it's not a great option for anyone not finished growing for obvious reasons... but as time goes by and they keep on working on things - who knows what they will create.... Dr. Pape convinced me never to lose hope.
Francine_Litz

Post by Francine_Litz »

I found it by searching for "operating room". Maia wanted to see pictures of operating rooms and the TCH site was down (they have a 360degree picture of one) so I did a search to find one and this was the first link it gave me... and she saw me go into the link (double yikes) but actually she was interested in looking at it. She told me she wants to be an "armie" doctor like Dr. Nath (and a waitress, too). LOL
CathyY

Post by CathyY »

An "armie" doctor and a waitress!! too cute!!

And you're right...think Pape...never give up hope! Look how far medicine has come with repair options for BPI(never really "repaired", but you know what I mean) in the last 7=10 years, and who knows what is on the horizon for the next 10?

Yes, yes, yes, never give up hope!

cy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Francine,
You are right, I am also thinking there will be more available for our kids. I am very hopeful for them all!

Thanks again,
Gwen
LeeAnne

Post by LeeAnne »

This has been mentioned for Michaela when she "finishes growing". Also her therapist has told me not to be to hasty about the gracilus transfer. Her husband works with adults (P.T.) and there are alot of new things being done with computer chips and electronic muscle implants that would enhance movement. "Bionics" are not that far in the future.