For Everyone Who Just Went Through Surgery

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Tracey

For Everyone Who Just Went Through Surgery

Post by Tracey »

I was just wondering how everyone is doing who just went for surgery not to long ago?

Tracey
Kathyb

Re: For Everyone Who Just Went Through Surgery

Post by Kathyb »

Hi Tracey, Conor is doing great totally uneffected by the splint we have 3 more weeks to go at 24/7 and then 4 weeks at night. But he is doing great and has only complained once because he keeps hitting the door when he goes through thanks for asking kathy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, Megan had scar tissue removed from her median nerve on May 19th. She doesnt show any improvement yet. I was really excited and hoping to see something by now. She has had the primary and mod-quad in the past. She cant use her bicept or supenate. Her left arm is about 3 inches shorter than the right. Dr. Nath said she should be able to start using her bicept so I hope she will show me something soon!!!!!! Her tricept is so strong (as is her will). lol I hope she isnt just being stuborn. She fights me to do most exercise. So frustrating. Megan doesnt like to draw attention to her arm or be touched on it. I have learned that "tough love" is going to be a way of life, and it is so hard on mommy!!!!!!!! Hope I dont sound so negative, she is saying she is "sore" in he bicept and the tendon on the forarm that helps to rotate the arm. To me....that is something. BUT I want more!!!!! :-)
Julie-work

Post by Julie-work »

Tracey,

Thanks for asking! My daughter had the caps surgery 6 weeks ago. So 2 more wks for the 24 hr splinting and then 4 more wks at night. I can't wait for her to get out of the splint, but I am really nervous about what her arm is going to look like. Her elbow is real tight and I can't bend it much past 90 degrees, and her muscles have atrophied. We are going to take the splint off at the aquatherapy pool so hopefully the warm water will help with the stiffness. She can't wait until she can take a bath again with her older sister. She has almost climbed into the tub fully dressed because she wants to get in so bad! We are also getting the "David Brace" for her to wear after the splint comes off so that will be another thing for her (and us) to adjust to. The thing that I've missed the most though is giving her a real hug without that bulky splint between us. 2 MORE WEEKS!!
Francine_Litz

Post by Francine_Litz »

Maia had a caps #2, scar tissue removal from her mod quad incision area and biceps tendon lengthening. On July 19th, the splint comes off during the day and we move to nights only.

Maia usaully has a severe reaction to the splint foam and straps and this is the first time this has not been the case because we lined the splint and her arm with Cool Max (Capilene). The only part of her skin that is blistering this time is the webbing in her thumb area - the ONLY piece that's not covered with the fabric but as of tonight, that will not be the case!

We also got the Comfort Cap Shampoo and I like it but it's not a hit with Maia. I have to say that it doesn't smell that nice like her regular shampoo - but the concept is neat. Maia would rather she lay on the table and me wash her hair onto a pile of towels or a bowl. She doesn't want to lean over a bathtub either (doesn't like it in her eyes). Oh well.

Steri strips are beginning to come off on their own. We're not touching them at all.

Thanks for asking!
-francine
Khiron's Krew

Post by Khiron's Krew »

Thanks for asking! My son had the mod quad procedure on May 19th. Today begins the last wk of 24 hr splinting and then 3 wks at night. We are truly Blessed that he has done so well. He is all boy at 17 months old.

I placed a call to TCH yesterday (left a message) because at first I was overly concerned about Khiron returning to daycare with his splint. Now with all of his running about, jumping onto and off of his bed, diving off of the sofa or step stool, and wrestling with his almost 3 yr old brother--I am overly concerned about his returning to daycare without his splint!
momofnickelman

Post by momofnickelman »

Nicholas is doing well too. We only have 6 more weeks to go in the caps splint! ugh...he is all boy too...running and jumping...trying to get him to only run on the grass and not the concrete...I just hope to keep him from knocking any teeth out or scraping his face up since he can't catch himself. His splint is constantly shifting and driving me crazy. He just doesn't sit still. He can't wait until he can take a real bath too.
Tammie

Post by Tammie »

Joe Joe is doing great here now that we have the Coolmax shirts. (Thanks francine!) Thanks so much for asking.

BTW, Rebecca, even though Dr. Nath said only 3 weeks with the splinting, the Lisa's said it's 4 weeks. I know he kept saying 3 weeks to me too, but they said it's 4. So you may want to call Lisa Davis or Thompson just to make sure.
CathyY

Post by CathyY »

Matthew had bicep lengthening surgery April 14th. Splint came off Memorial Day. Wow...his arm is so straight now! What a thrill it is to see it like that. We took off the splint in the warm water tub; at first he was very nervous, and the elbow was quite tight. He did't want to bend it or move it at all. But the allure of the deep warm water in the tub proved too much, and he started playing like normal, forgetting that he was nervous! He began bending his elbow, stretching, doing all range of motion movements while playing! This surgery was not difficult on him at all ( I am still recovering, however!LOL!). I am SO GLAD we had this done. Now if we could only figure out what to do about the shoulder...

Cathy
Tracey

Post by Tracey »

I am so happy everyone is doing well! Give the improvements time. Everything has to do with time in these cases. Please keep us updated and I pray for everyone! God bless!

Tracey