IEP Meeting done!

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Francine_Litz

IEP Meeting done!

Post by Francine_Litz »

I went to Maia's IEP meeting yesterday and it went great. I was completely nauseated and sick for days before but I have to say that everyone's input online is what got me through. I had saved all the posts on IEP's for entering the school system and it really helped...plus I got two IEP's in the mail that once I get a scanner I will put up (after I black out the names and personal information).

At the meeting was the principal, the guidance counselor, the psychologist, the speech therapist, the occupational therapist, the physical therapist and the kindergarten teacher. Yikes!! haha - they sat me at the head of the table and told me that I was running the show because this was all about my daughter. I just felt so respected. They asked me to tell them about Maia - a narrative - about who she is and what she's like. Then I passed out sheets that I had prepared - picture of Maia in her splint - picture of Maia riding her bike with the splint and doing hopscotch in her splint - a picture of what Maia's shoulder joint looks like inside (I will post it later) and a sheet that explained her last surgery and detailed the rehab and rehab schedule.

I was able to make it very clear as to how her WHOLE body was affected by her injury. And actually the psychologist spoke up about this as well. They talked about how the eyes were affected, ears, jaw, hips, feet, etc. and how it would impact her performance in school. It seems that they have some experience with this.

I also spoke about what happened last year at camp (Maia was reinjured) and how deathly afraid I was of having that happen again. They told me to have Dr. Nath (as you all said!) write up a very detailed and comprehensive list of contraindications, specific activities, etc. so that they could make plans on how to adapt their gym program for Maia. The PT there (knowing Maia) said that she would not be happy in adaptive gym - because she thrives on playing with her classmates (which is true). She said that this particular gym teacher is a genius at adapting for all kinds of kids and that she understands my fears, but that once they have the specific guidelines, I should rest assured that Maia will be safe. I was also told that I could be there in the background and watch if it would make me feel more comfortable with it - until I got a comfort level with the teacher.

They said that I will have consults built into her school week because of the ongoing rehab she will be in, etc. They want me to update THEM on a weekly basis and they will also update me. (WOW!)

To tell you the truth - it was a GREAT meeting. I think part of the reason it'll work out is because I'm NOT relying on them for Maia's therapy. I'm just relying on them to keep her safe in school and put in place the ability for her to succeed... like giving her extra time to write, the use of pencil grips, using dycem and a clipboard and other adaptive tools to help, having a helper in the dining room if she can't manage her tray or milk carton. She'll have OT, PT and ST there. ST will be a group of 3 kids with like problems. OT will be involved in the classroom (like being there for an art project, etc), PT might be involved in gym or she might be separated for it - all depends on what they are doing in gym.

They are also going to assign her a "Soap Buddy". This is a program that have running for 4th and 5th graders. EACH older child is buddied up with a kindergardener or 1st grader. They wait for them to arrive, walk them to their classroom, help them with their coat, boots, etc. and then pick them up at their classroom at the end of the day to walk them outside. The principal told the guidance counselor to hand pick Maia's buddy..."make it a real special buddy"

We talked about school buses and I voiced my fear about no seat belts and they said that Maia would be able to be on a smaller school bus that had seat belts... it's because they have to do special transportation for her anyway because she's not going to be in the elementary school in her district - so we can pick the type of transportation we want for her. I never expected this!

The next IEP will be done in February so that we can re-evaluate how the first few months went. But they also said that I can call another meeting at any time I want with just a little notice..especially because of Maia's post surgical needs, etc.

And when I walked out, the entire school was piling outside to take a "schoolwide" picture...and there were kids hugging the principal...

was this a fantasy meeting? hahaha

The nausea is gone for the moment!

-francine
Tammie

Re: IEP Meeting done!

Post by Tammie »

Wow, what a great meeting! Can I call you when I have to go through with this! :))) This really sounds too good to be true! It sounds like everything will work out fine.
LeeAnne

Post by LeeAnne »

I am tickled pink for both of you. Michaelas school has been the same way. I just don't think Michaela qualifies for as much because she doesn't need speech and she has progressed so much since mod quad and so far (knock on wood) does not need caps. I would be very interested in all the info you took to your meeting, as I'm sure we will need more adaptations as she gets older and more is expected of her and we have a new principal this year I haven't heard good things about. Still praying for you both! Hugs and Kisses to Maia. LeeAnne
njbirk

Post by njbirk »

So glad to hear that it went well.
Your usual thoroughness, I am sure, made the difference.

Now relax a bit ... if that is possible with a child post surgery!

Nancy
Francine_Litz

Post by Francine_Litz »

Jennifer - it's another case of "good day bad day" - I guess this time it was easy - new family entering kindergarten... I'm sure as time goes by and they get to "know me" it won't be so easy! hahahaha
phaliscak

Post by phaliscak »

Hi Francine,

Great job! Where are you from? Here in NJ if your child is "classified" and is aproved for services, door to door transportation is manditory. Is she going to an out of district school? Usually if they can not provide services in district the school is held to providing it somewhere else at the county's expense.

From my own experience, the school usually loves parents who are on top of things. It's only when you scream "Education Law" that makes them duck and oh no.

You should also get a letter from the district at least once a year about the state coming by holding a meeting. All the big guns will be there. If you have any unresolved issues about services and care that is the time to point fingers and say this and that is not being done and what you have done to try and resolve it.

When Michael got sick from cancer I had Education Law on the phone because they were giving me a hard time about bed side instruction and home instruction. The law office told me of my rights and I went in there armed with my rights. To this day if Michael can't go to school a teacher comes to my house and if he is in the hospital a teacher provided my the hospital comes to teach Michael, all at the expense of the county I live in.

Don't throw out the information phone numbers and rights of the parents. File it away because you never know when you might need to make that phone call.

Congratulations on your first meeting. Sounds like you did great.
phaliscak

Post by phaliscak »

Almost forgot. Even if she is going to her school district, door to door service still must be provided on the special buses.
Khiron's Krew

Post by Khiron's Krew »

Francine-
We are so proud of you! I am very happy to hear you had such a great meeting. Can I call you when I have to go through with this!