Centruty Next Step Car Seat

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
kelli_

Centruty Next Step Car Seat

Post by kelli_ »

I found specs at this site for this car seat: http://babycatalog.com/cgi-bin/WebStore ... hcd=44912L (see below for cut and paste from specs)
According to this site, harnesses are only good for up to 40 lbs. A child can go without the harness at 30 lbs of weight, but the harness should be removed at 40 lbs. I tried going to Century products and downloading the assembly directions but I could not get them to download.

I also found this website
http://www.nhtsa.org/people/injury/childps/
It seems to echo Kristie's info.

Kelli

Enter
quantity
Item #:
44912L
Next Step MX Car Seat with LATCH in Cobalt Blue Pattern from Century
Now featuring new LATCH system. Transitions child after an infant car seat all the way to adult vehicle seat belts. Use with 5-point harness for children 20-40 pounds. Use as a vehicle belt positioning booster seat for children 30-100 pounds.

Exclusive Dri-Lex fabric's advanced technology draws dampness away from baby in a mildew and odor resistant design. Two buckle and three shoulder height positions for your growing child. Front-of seat adjustment to tighten and loosen harness. Two-piece harness tie makes it easier to move your child in and out of the seat. Snap-in, height adjustable head support. Front access BeltWay vehicle belt routing flap makes installation faster and more convenient. Adjustable side supports pivot down, making it easier for the child to get in and out of the seat. Reclined and upright seat positions. Three position adjustable Comfort Clip positioning clip to help keep vehicle lap/shoulder belt away from child's neck. Certified for use in aircraft only with 5-point harness system.

For use forward facing only 20-40 pounds with 5-point harness. 30-100 pounds without the 5-point harness. Child must be able to sit upright unassisted.
Francine_Litz

Re: Centruty Next Step Car Seat

Post by Francine_Litz »

...so I went looking at new car seats for Maia and I didn't buy one...it just worries me to death about having a strap go near her neck. I'm going to ask Nath about it next week.
kelli_

Post by kelli_ »

Francine,
I kind of worried about it a while too. I think that most accicdents occur when the seat belt is positioned incorrectly. That is why it is so dangerous to let older kids ride without booster seat bases to position the belt correctly, hence the 80 lb booster seat suggestion by safety boards. I have read that those padded seat belt positioners can be just as dangerous as not using a booster. When we put the seatbelt across the booster there are side hooks that the belt threads through. The belt does not touch my daugter's neck at all....it puts it across her shoulder and holds it firmly. A properly placed belt is the best thing safety wise we can do for our kids, I think. If it is positioned properly, I think our chances are slim to none for a repeat injury.
Kelli
Nettie

Post by Nettie »

How about positioning Maia in the car so that her non-bpi arm has the shoulder harness across it vs. BPI arm. That should eliminate any worry.
Kristie

Post by Kristie »

Thanks Kelli for going the extra mile!!

I made a lot of contacts yesterday to see if anything new had come up since I haven't recertified as a CPS Tech but everyone I talked to told me that unless it is Britax's Husky (formerally Super Elite) or one other by a company I am not familiar with then 40lbs is the norm to switch to the Belt Positioning Booster. I also found that Britax is no longer making the LapTop car seat. The seat is fine they are just required to make all new seats with the latch system. The LapTop doesn't have that on it and the company did not want to make a new model. So if you see one in stores you can buy it... it is not a recall but it is out of production. I have one and it has been great (it is our extra seat).

Francine,
Please let me know what Dr. Nath says! I have e-mailed Dr. Shenaq. And I have e-mailed another doctor that has a lot of experience with special needs and car seats. I talked with her previously about recomendations regarding car seats, splints/casts and BPI.

I can understand your concern with the belt being so close to the injury site and the worry of another injury! However even if you are using harness straps they should ride right over the shoulder (pretty close to the neck). The straps have to be tight (one finger) to do the job... which is to stop the head (and upper body) from being thrown too far forward in a crash. I have tried to think of any other options for you that have no straps near that area. The only one is the LapTop. It would be hard to find (for the reasons mentioned above). Plus its upper weight limit is 65lbs (I thought it was 60 but read somewhere on line that it is 65... might have to check that one out before buying). I got mine from a trendy type baby place. I ordered it from them and had it shipped to my home.

Anyway I am very intrested in what Dr. Nath will have to say. If you think of it I would also be intrested in his thoughts on car seats right after surgery (tightness and belt position how it would relate to the surgery site). I know you will have a ton of other things going on so I can always e-mail him! I might contact a few other BPI docs to get their thoughts.

Have a great day!!
Blessings,
Kristie
Susie

Post by Susie »

We also looked into a different car seat where we could use the 5 point harness longer and only found the Britex Husky that went to 80 or 100 lbs.(can't rememeber.) It was also $500.00 and was a big HONKIN' seat. At the time it was not available for an additional 6 months. We ended up buying the britex booster that uses the car seat belt. It is definitely the best booster on the market and the CA highway patrol recommend it.

We still have our 14 month baby facing backwards in a convertable seat since it is safer than facing forward. We plan to keep him that way until his legs don't fit.
Tammie

Re: Century Next Step Car Seat

Post by Tammie »

The older the child gets, it's not safer having the car seat face the back. It is determined by weight. Also, I checked out the Britex Husky and it was $239.
Kristie

Post by Kristie »

From what I recall in my training it is safer to face the rear for as long as possible. Meaning if the car seat allows for a higher weight limit rear facing you can do it as long as the child still fits that way (concern about the legs not fitting well). I believe that in some European countries that kids face rear until they are 3 yrs of age. In the US it is standard that kids start riding forward facing at 1 year and 20lbs. And BOTH of thoes must be met. So a child that is 25lbs but not 1 year of age MUST ride rear facing. It has to do with the ability of the body/bones to with stand the crash forces. Rear facing is considered safter because the car seat cradles the whole body where the harness/seat belt only hold down the body on the strong points. we encourage parents with babies that are over 20lbs and over a year to keep the child facing the rear as long as possible. This was only done of course if the seats were made for rear facing for more than 20lbs. Due to babies getting to be so big before 1 yr of age a lot of manufatcuters have started making the seat go up to about 30-35lbs rear facing. These are the convertable seats (can also be used rear facing). Many infant only or rear facing only seat now go to 22lbs. The concern as they get older is the length of the child. You would have to check with the manfuacter of seat to find out the recommended length limit for rear facing. I can check this info out if you like.
Blessings,
Kristie
Kristie

Post by Kristie »

oops should preview before posting....
convertible seat can be used both forward and rear facing.

I encourage the reading of the question When should I turn my child forward facing in the web site:
http://www.hsrc.unc.edu/pubinfo/child_q ... est%20Seat

Blessings,
Kristie
Susie

Post by Susie »

OPPS Tammie you are totally right about the price on the britex 5 point harness seat to 80 lbs. I was thinking of the one that we looked at several years ago...I can't remember the maker. Are the Huskys available now?

Kristy - Thanks for the seat info. I did make sure that the Britex convertable seat we have can face backwards until baby is 30lbs. We still plan to keep our baby backwards until he is too long or over 30lbs. He is 22lbs. now.

Sincerely,
Susie