Topomax

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
admin
Site Admin

Re: Topomax

Post by admin »

oh yes---have been taking topomax for 3 weeks now and have had crying spells and more anxiety then normal-also feel tingling and numbness in hands and more moody! no weight loss yet--and i want to lose weight
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I was on Topomax for 2 years at a dose of 100 mg. I had problems with depression, sleep disturbances, memory loss, speech, severe tingling and numbness in my extremeties and my hair fell out. I was also severly fatigued because of the sleep problems. I was taking it for migraines. My PCP felt it was the Topomax but my neurologist dismissed that and suggested B12 shots. Following a fall from a ladder, I decided that the symptoms were significant enough to try going off. I am off, symptom free, actually losing weight not gaining, and happier than I have been in two years. I am sleeping like a baby and my energy level is increasing daily. Too soon to tell yet about the hair but my guess is that it will stop falling out. I found this board to confirm what I now feel I already know about using this drug for my particular health. It's not the right treatment for me.
admin
Site Admin

Re: hair loss?

Post by admin »

I took 100 mg. for two years. Lost a ton of hair. Took nine months to slow down. Came back in but continues to fall out faster than normal. I didn't realize the connection until recently but am off Topomax now for that and many other side effects. I've only been off a short while but all other side effects have completely gone away except my appetite is still suppressed. I'll hope for better results on the hair loss and check this board occasionally to post the results of what happens after stopping the medication.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I've been on 100 mg. per day for two years for migraines. I've stopped because of the side effects and almost all of my symptoms have already gone away. I still have some appetite suppression and my hair falls out faster than normal but all tingling, numbness, sleep disturbance, mental confusion, depression and memory loss has abated. That girl that is smiling and happy is me.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I've been on topomax for about 4 or 5 years. Initially I felt like I had a bad case of the flu. That lasted about a month. Then came the tingling in mine hands and feet. the loss of memory. Then came the stumbling and the difficulty speaking, etc. Finally, I started having severe muscle spasms which lasted for hours. My body would contort. During and afterward I would be in extreme pain. My muscles and joints were in pain all the time. This went of for about 10 months. I saw numerous neurologists but they could not determine what was causing the spasms. Then one day they stopped. I tried to get off topomax but had terrible withdrawals. Shaking, nausea,etc. So I gave up. The other side effects everyone has talked about with topomax have been with me all along. Now the horrible spasms have come back. After stubbling on the board and reading every message I truly believe the only thing wrong with me is TOPOMAX. This all started because my doctor wanted me to loose some weight, which I didn't. Can any one give me some suggestions on getting off topomax? I take 200 mg per day. I agree this is a drug that should be monitored and used for the purpose it was originally intended.
cocola

Post by cocola »

I've been on 100 mg of T-max a night for migraines, along with some other stuff, for a couple of months. It's done a great job preventing the headaches, which were quite debilitating. So far, no hair loss, no weight loss; very loopy, very sleepy, and the last few days my ankles have been swollen. Anyone know of that possibly being related to the T-max?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I can't believe what a rude and sarcastic attitude Paul had toward you. I would like to alplogize even though I don't know him. This info. board seems to me that it is covering information re: the use of Topomax to treat various problems.(I found it doing a search for Topomax) I'm sure we all know pain and we should support one another...not attack one another. I have been on Topomax for about 4 months now for chronic headaches due to Arnold Chiari Malformation. It's interesting that your reading comprehension improved while on Topomax. I guess it could be because with ADD your brain is hyperactive and you have trouble concentrating so the Topomax slows your brain activity down a little so you canconcentrate better.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Topomax and hairloss

Post by admin »

To TOPMX:
I also missed my mentstrual cycle and began to lactate, but thought it was due to the Solian I was taking with T-Max. These symptoms are typical of Solian. I was only on 50mg T-Max twice a day for 6 months and these symptoms only started to appear after 4 months. I've been off T-Max for 2 months and my cycle still isn't what it's supposed to be.

To JennG0427:
Yes, my symptoms have all disappeared, except for the hairloss. My doctor actually put me on Edronax (http://www.smart-drugs.com/product-info ... xetine.htm) to help increase my ability to think straight and concentrate (I was writing exams) and I'm currently on 2mg a day, which is the lowest dosage. Before Edronax I could not form a proper sentence or participate in a proper conversation, as my brain was mushy and foggy. I've been off T-Max for 2 months now and hope the hairloss will stop soon. I'll stay on Edronax, because I perform so well on it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Without wishing to sound rude or unwelcoming in any way at all, the good people of UBPN are funding this message board for the use of people with Brachial plexus injuries and there are now many people who are simply using it to discuss the problems or emrits of this particular drug.
I wonder if you have considered setting up your own message board - where you could discuss this in more depth and you could name it something appropriate which people could find easily on a search engine?
Yahoo are a wonderful host for small communities and it's free of charge.
I don't wish to offend, but maybe you would attract more people to your group if you have your own board.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If the good people of UBPN wanted the message board to be primarily for people with brachial plexius injuries perhaps they should have considered titling the message board brachial plexius injuries or BPI rather than Topomax. By doing this, they would have eliminated the confusion by those of use who thought it was an open forum on the drug Topomax.