3-Hotel Review (Houston)

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Francine_Litz

3-Hotel Review (Houston)

Post by Francine_Litz »

So we stayed at 3 hotels this time. So here's our experience (in case you are interested)

MARRIOTT

First we were at the Marriott under the Entertainment card rates of $69/night. This Marriott is very nice and actually the room bedding was upgraded. They had two (not just one) down comforters on the big king size bed we had. Funny thing though is that the bedding itself was really comfortable but the mattress sucked so my back really hurt me - lol! They have an indoor pool there which seems to not be heated too much anymore so it was like stepping into a freezer but the jacuzzi was nice and warm. We ate dinner at the restaurant and they were always very nice to Maia and got her what she would eat even if it wasn't on the menu. The tables in the restaurant had tiles on them so we were able to play tic-tac-toe with the sugar packets! hahaha - everyone got a kick out of that one. When Maia was upset one day, the bell hop got her a balloon. And the shuttle there is basically your own private driver bringing you anywhere in a 2 mile radius. It's an on demand service which is very nice as well. We left after two nights because the Entertainment card rate was not valid for during the week and the price went up exponentially.

HOLIDAY INN

A dear friend warned me that the Holiday changed considerably and since I always had such a good experience there I thought it would still be ok... BUT I should have listened to her. I seem to think that there must be two types of rooms there - the nice ones and the really awful ones. We've always gotten a nice one...but this time - yikes - we got a truly AWFUL one. It was a dark, dreary, tired and smelly closet basically. Yuck. The bed was tiny - although they said it was a queen - it really looked like a double. I spent the night worrying that Maia would fall off and got them to bring me more pillows to surround her. It's just not looking very clean in there anymore - not the lobby - not anywhere. The restaurant which used to be a real restaurant back then (5 years ago) is now this really schlocky buffet run by two people who con you into eating there telling you that it's the best buffet in town, etc. Bagels seemed to be about 3 weeks old - completely hard. But Maia was happy with a box of Rice Krispies, milk and a banana. Although the price was right - the brachial plexus price was $59 - if you are looking for just a place to put your head- it was safe and an ok place to go to. If you need shampoo in the little bottles and nice soap and towels - this is not the place to go to. Also - if TV is important to you - most of the stations here are middle eastern stations. I got to watch Al Jezeera station actually - too bad I couldn't understand Arabic though.

CROWNE PLAZA

So - don't ask me how I did this - what a stupid mistake - but we went to the airport a day early to realize that our tickets were for the next day. So we had to trek all the way back and this time stayed at the Crowne Plaza at the bpi rate of $89- kind bed. Since I have heard really good and really bad reviews on the place - this may be another place that has good and bad rooms? Well we definitely got a good room - it wasn't just good - it was fantastic - nice than the Marriott. Almost luxurious. All the staff was really nice, too. We didn't eat there but I peeked into Scoops Diner and it looked like a nice place to eat. Actually since it is across the street from the hospital - this might be a great place to get food while you are at the hospital - there is a door to it from the street. I was really impressed with this hotel and we will definitely be staying there next time.

The neat thing about the Crowne is that our room looked at the new Clinical Care Building...and wow is that gorgeous at night. Double wow! The lights are on at night and you can see inside the glass area - and it looks like different shaped blocks in bright colors - from the outside. Just magnificent.

This concludes my 3 hotel review. hehehe

-francine

Julie-work

Re: 3-Hotel Review (Houston)

Post by Julie-work »

Francine,

Thanks for the reviews!!! We planned to stay at the Holiday Inn because like you it has been fine in the past. I am glad you posted because now I might check into the Crowne Plaza. Anyone else have any suggestions? We won't have a car and we will probably have to be at the hospital early because our daughter will be one of the younger ones for surgery. So we need the shuttle to leave early in the morning.
Francine_Litz

Post by Francine_Litz »

I guess I should add that maybe it was just the room we were in at the Holiday Inn- you know good room bad room thing. So maybe I should have spoken up to get a better room? It's all possible. I felt safe there and welcome and all and the mattress was actually better for my back than the marriott (lol!!). So maybe check it out for yourself and you might get a good room. We never had a problem there before. Also - the big plus was that they have full kitchens in the rooms - so if that's important to you then that's the place to go with. Crowne had nothing. Marriott had refrigerator and you could have gotten a microwave.

They all have shuttles or drivers for early morning - but in the worst case if you choose a hotel that doesn't have a shuttle....taxi's to the hospital will run you about $3-5.

-francine

mom_2x_2002

Post by mom_2x_2002 »

Francine-

Thanks for the review about the crowne Plaza we are staying there in July it gonna cost a little more like $129.00. Includes a refrig. at our request and continental breakfest. Does it sound like I am going to get riped off? Or is it just that much because it's July? We got the rates for other motels but they seemed higher.

Nicki
Francine_Litz

Post by Francine_Litz »

Nicki - call back and ask them for the Texas Children's Hospital Brachial Plexus rate and tell them that you heard from others that it is much cheaper. If they argue - then tell them that you know a family that got that rate and it was $89 per night.

but...btw - we did not get a continental breakfast or a refrigerator but I would doubt if those two things are worth the extra $40 per night.

good luck,
francine
Tammie

Post by Tammie »

We stayed at Crowne Plaza. It was great. Scoops was also great. The staff was wonderful with us and our son. They always asked about him. You can stay for $89 a night. But if you reserve on the internet 21 days in advance, you can get your room for $69 a night.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Francine-you don't have to know Arabic! http://english.aljazeera.net/topics/ind ... mp_type=44
Don't know if this link works in the US but it does elsewhere.
madysmom

Post by madysmom »

Hi ; we were there (holiday Inn) the week of Sun March 31-April,1, we did get a great room and it was nice. We payed $59.00 a night too. I am picky about smells and clean rooms and this was nice. I am sorry Francine, maybe you just had bad luck that day with the room thing. Staci, Maddysmom
Francine_Litz

Post by Francine_Litz »

Staci - it was so nice to meet you.... well glad to hear that it IS a good room / bad room thing. If we go back there I'll have to just be assertive and ask for a better room. :)

Tammie - thanks for the Crowne Plaza heads up! We'll book now for next month's surgery!
mom_2x_2002

Post by mom_2x_2002 »

Thanks Tammie

I am going to ck it out

Nicki