IEP's

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Karen

IEP's

Post by Karen »

I tried to find the most recent post regarding IEP's and I couldn't. I remember Rich offering a wealth of information and I would love to have it for my files as we will be discussing ny son Timothy's shortly. What resources can I use to fight for services? It seems that everyone I run into within our school system is having to fight hard to get what they are entitled to because of the gray area of having to tie in an educational delay. Any help would be appreciated.
Tessie258

Re: IEP's

Post by Tessie258 »

Here's one link:
http://www.wrightslaw.com/

Good luck!
T.
StaceyC

Post by StaceyC »

Karen,

One post is on page 11 titled "IEP ?" and another good one is on page 23 titled "help with school PT." Both have some really good ideas (I've been writing things down for future reference). Rowan is only 6 months right now, but I guess you could say I like to be prepared for everything!

Good luck!
-Stacey
Josh'smom

Post by Josh'smom »

Karen I recently has my son school committee (IEP) meeting for 1st grade (he's presently in Kindergarten). Boy was it hard. The OT and speech teacher recommended services for the following year but the committee was about to deny it--I came prepared and recited some Federal Special Education laws and they knew I had them SOO they ended up agreeing to services for 1st grade. Good luck--if you have any questions please feel free to ask. Rich has a wealth of information--look back on old posts and print them--that is what I have been doing and keeping a file on all of them. :)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

boy would I like to now what you recxited I am still having difficulty my son is 11
Josh'smom

Post by Josh'smom »

Sunflower I just told them
and here is the page that mentions the federal special eduction law requires the therapist to (OT)

* "improving, developing, or restoring functions impaired or lost through illness, injury, or deprivation;
* improving [a child's] ability to perform tasks for independent functioning if functions are impaired or lost; and
* preventing, through early intervention, initial or further impairment or loss of function" [Section 300.24(b)(5)].

Occupational therapy services in schools may include such services as:

* self-help skills or adaptive living (e.g., eating, dressing);
* functional mobility (e.g., moving safely through school);
* positioning (e.g., sitting appropriately in class);
* sensory-motor processing (e.g., using the senses and muscles);
* fine motor (e.g., writing, cutting) and gross motor performance (e.g., walking, athletic skills);
* life skills training/vocational skills; and
* psychosocial adaptation.
(Thank you RichinMA for this info)

I also told them about self help skills--what about holding the lunch tray (my son cant supinate)--what about music, typing.

The law also says about related services for PT and OT that the program should prevent regression of ability and prevent deformity through therapy. It is well documented that without therapy (proper therapy) that children with BPI will develop predictable secondary ailments, such as conctractures, scoliosis, pain, overuse of functional arm, arthritis, etc.

Good luck!!!!!!!