Hot and Cold hand

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
allison d

Hot and Cold hand

Post by allison d »

What's up with the hot/cold hand? Is this a cause of concern?
ritaV

Re: Hot and Cold hand

Post by ritaV »

I have a cold hand-- found soft cotton knit fabric work gloves work the best--- hard to come by in non-gardening design.

At first got a lot of Michael Jackson jokes-- but after explaining a million times all know--

Lately more cold than usual--- not sure what it means
But the glove- superheating the hand is the only relief I can get and still be functional!
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

mines ALWAYS cold and I wear a childs sock on it in the summer (my wrist is too wasted for gloves to stay on) and have new fingerless childrens glove/mittens for the coming winter, thanks to Tina from Mi :0) who sent them to me, you can get them in Target stores and they have a clip so I can attach them to my clothes, or they'd just fall off. I'm 23 years post injury and the cold is my biggest worry as it NEVER goes away and if the hand gets too chilled (I can't feel it so don't realise if it gets too cold until my whole body starts shivering) I can't warm it up and then the pain starts.....keep the hand warm!
highlander_1406

Post by highlander_1406 »

I have the cold/hot hand but i found that when i put a glove on it got really hot and i stated getting serious pain so i cant win its ither to hot or to cold that i get pain. Dont know how it is caused or anything but i find my hand sweats a lot especially my little finger and my finger next to it.Wierd
david wilson

Post by david wilson »

hey allison
let me share with you what i came up with after experiencing the same cold hand problem. it seemed that the cold hand and
the swelling of my hand, as the day progressed, happened about the same time. not perfectly sycronised but close enough to
tie them together in my own little mind. so, i took notice of the temp of my hand as i propped it up making sure that my hand
was higher than my hart to let the blood drain out and lo and behold, my hand got warm to hot as the swelling subsided. try it
and let me know if it works for you. this doesn't happen very fast, sometimes taking 3/4 hr depending on how swollen and
how active i've been but it's always worked if i spend enough time waiting. i also massage and push the swelling toward my
arm to simulate the natural pumping action of a normal working hand. hope this helps. hang in there
red wilson