How successful is nerve transfer surgery?

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
ang
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Fell off motorcycle on 10th September 2013. Sustained avulsion to c6&7 resulting in loss of use of shoulder & palsy of biceps in right arm. Initially had flail arm. Also fractured r scapula, dislocation of ac joint & subluxation & destabilised humerus.

How successful is nerve transfer surgery?

Post by ang »

Hi, I have avulsed c6&7, with no nerve root showing. Wondering has anyone had surgery for this type of injury, and how successful tje surgery has been?
I have good use of my hand, no biceps or outwards rotation, sorta can use shoukder a bit (improving). I'm not keen on surgery but am checking out all options.....

Thanks. Kia kaha,

Ang
troy

Re: How successful is nerve transfer surgery?

Post by troy »

You got nothing to loose, give it a go. Mine were not avulsed but cut and stretched but my shoulder went from hardly anything to 100%, my bicep went from nothing to a weak grade 4. Nothing below elbow but haven got that far yet but it will be next.
hubbard
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 07-08-2012 Left BPI, which is dominant arm. Had a bicycle accident.

Post by hubbard »

Mayo clinic likes surgery under the six month mark. Check into it sooner rather than later!
alheim
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Motorcycle Accident; October 2013.

Tears & stretching in BP of left arm. Significant loss of movement at elbow & wrist, and no deltoids. Looking forward to improvement!

Post by alheim »

Note that an avulsion won't heal naturally, no way. Time is of the essence if you decide to pursue surgery.