6 Week Old With Brachial Plexus Injury

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: 6 Week Old With Brachial Plexus Injury

Post by Carolyn J »

Welcome to our UBPN Family,WeslynGray. We learn from everyone who posts. I hope you come back here frequently.
Carolyn J
LOBPI/74
katiexdobratz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Baby with Brachial Plexus Injury

Post by katiexdobratz »

****UPDATE!!****

Maddie is about 2 and a half months old now. She just started flexing and bending her elbow last week!!! She also moves her arm around alot now, she can get it to slightly over her chest! We are soo excited!! She has an emg scheduled for october 18th. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers, please keep them coming for a full recovery!!!
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Post by jmar »

WOW!!! IAM SOOO HAPPY TO HEAR THAT!!! hope she has a nearly full recovery. that just made my day
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

You made MY DAY too,katiexdobratz !!
HUGGZ to both you & Maddie.
Carolyn J
LOBPI/74
katiexdobratz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Baby with Brachial Plexus Injury

Post by katiexdobratz »

Thank you both! Hopefully she completely recovers!
heath416
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My son was born on July 1 2011 with a right arm BP injury. He was diagnosed with Erb's palsy at birth and we have been in Physical Therapy since he was a month old. I am looking to connect with others with this injury and discuss treatment options as well as obstacles. Thanks!

Post by heath416 »

My son was born with a BP injury on his right arm. It was completely flacid for the first 2 months, he could move his fingers but no arm movement at all. He finally starting moving his arm and bending his elbow at 8 weeks old (up and across his chest). At first we though gravity was pulling his arm down when he brought it up but he was actively doing it! Very exciting) He was in Physical therapy from 4 weeks old. He is now 14 months and has almost a full ROM but does have some issues with externally rotating and suppenation as well as muscle tighness. He just had a MRI on his Shoulder to check the ball and Socket joint to see if it is forming right. We get the results today and I am hoping for good news. My advice would be to keep up OT and PT. Also contact your local school district as they sometimes have a infants and toddler program where they will come to your house, or daycare, and do at home therapy and it is a free program. The earlier the intervention the better. We did not have to do a EMG or any other tests but I would be leary about sedation this young. We did have to sedate our son for his MRI and it was ok, harder on us then him. Luckily it was a oral med and only a short time. Good luck and I hope she continues to improve!!!
Heather
katiexdobratz

Post by katiexdobratz »

Thanks Heather! **ANOTHER UPDATE :) ** My little princess is doing fantastic! She will be 4 months on the 28th. I wish i could post my videos on here!! She moves her little arm like crazy. If you didnt know what to look for, you couldnt even tell there was something wrong! She bends and lifts so much! Some of the videos I've taken, you would actually think her affected arm is her non affected! She still has to lift her arm over her head and do external rotation, so we are praying that she is able to achieve those movements soon. Its amazing how something like this can make you grateful for all the little things your body can do!
katiexdobratz

Post by katiexdobratz »

Hi! *UPDATE*

Maddie will be seven months old on the 28th. Amazing how time flies isnt it?! She is able to lift her arm over her head while on her back, she supinates a little bit, and shes doing very well. She had her second surgical consult the other day, and she improved from her first! No Surgery so far!! **FINGERS CROSSED** we bring her back in two months! We need to work on her lifting her arm now while she is sitting up. She can get kind of close to her mouth...but only has done that a few times. We also need to work on external rotation. Unfortunately her previous ot failed to mention an important stretch, so her joint is stiff. I have been working it alot though and it has started loosening up. She is at about 70% r.o.m now, and we are hoping for 90%. It breaks my heart that she will not be 100% and that her little arm was fine up until i gave birth to her. I am so proud of all of her achievements and success....yet still a little greedy and want her to have more. Good luck to everyone!