Osteotomy or ?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
AllieH
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: my son Josh has a OBPI and had the mod quad when he was 3 years old

Osteotomy or ?

Post by AllieH »

I have a question...my son Josh who is now 15 and a 10th grader in high school approached me about getting a surgery to make his arm be in more of a neutral
position. Years ago we went and had opinions about the osteotomy, but choose
not to have it done, but now it may be what he needs....anyone have any thoughts
on the surgery? Josh had the mod quad when he was 3. Also, any thoughts on
surgeons? we live in NY and I did check the resource page... Please anyone with
thoughts share. I told my son I would research for him and see what is available
for him. thank you
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: Osteotomy or ?

Post by Carolyn J »

Allie, I sent you at Private Message. Go to YOUR CONTROL PAGE.
Carolyn J
LOBPI/74
Elizabeth Beaulieu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right Brachial Plexus birth injury

Post by Elizabeth Beaulieu »

Hi, my name is Elizabeth Beaulieu, and I have a Right BPI. I am 18 years old now and I had the mod-quad surgery done when I was about 5 years old. I also had an osteotomy at around 12 years old, give or take. My arm used to be completely palm up until I got the surgery to put it in neutral position. That surgery is one of the best operations I have received. Every arm is different and in my case it made life a whole lot easier. There isn't a whole lot that you can do with an arm that is facing palm up. Now days, they can make splints to mimick how your arm will be after the surgery. The best thing, I believe, would be to get a splint made and your son could wear it throughout the day and try to do daily tasks with it on and see how he likes it, then go from there. Hope this helps... :)
Elizabeth Beaulieu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right Brachial Plexus birth injury

PS- I went to Shriners Hospital for Children in Philadelphia and my surgeon is Dr. Scott Kozin.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Thank you for posting Elizabeth. Your voice and experience are invaluable to parents. I hope you continue to "chime in". It is a very good "mission " for you and other people your age.

HUggs,
"gramma" Carolyn J
LOBPI/74
Elizabeth Beaulieu

Your welcome :)