Finally walking

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
schoolmom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: birth date 7-20-2011 right arm OBPI

Finally walking

Post by schoolmom »

Just wanted to ask when everyone's baby began walking. My son, William will be 15 months on the 20th of this month and decided today that he would finally let go and start walking. He has been walking along with the furniture for over 3 months now. He even pushed himself up to standing from the floor (something he had never tried before today). We are so excited - but should we be worried that he is falling to far behind in development?
heath416
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My son was born on July 1 2011 with a right arm BP injury. He was diagnosed with Erb's palsy at birth and we have been in Physical Therapy since he was a month old. I am looking to connect with others with this injury and discuss treatment options as well as obstacles. Thanks!

Re: Finally walking

Post by heath416 »

Our little guy started walking at 2 weeks shy of 13 months. He was born July 1st so they are about the same age. I don't think your little guy is too far behind, some babies are slower and some faster. Talk to your doctor and see what they say but now he is up and moving I think he is on track. Now comes the fun part, hiding all the knick knacks from tables and shelves!! Have fun.
Heather
ColesMama
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: ROBPI - Cole is just 4 weeks old, we're new at this!

Post by ColesMama »

Cole started walking officially at about 16 months. He walks a little funny, but his arm hasn't slowed him down at all as far as gross motor skills compared to his peers. At 15 months, your little guy is still within normal limits for kiddos with no injury!
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

I read your post and I was thinking about my mom and her help with my birth erbs 61 years ago and walking when I was little :roll:
My mom put a little stuff animal under my erbs arm, She told me years latter, that she use the stuff toy to cushion my falls in walking and the exercise of the erbs arm holding on to it :shock:
Just something I remembered :shock:she told me.
I think , holding on to the stuff animal , did help help my grasp in my erbs hand.
When I was 6 or 7 , I was given a small rubber ball to squeeze to in my erbs hand . I still squeeze a rubber ball to stretch the fingers even helps today . What I gain in grasp overtime was enough to drive a semi for 25 years I also had 25 years safety awards. ACT of God, Think :shock:
Its amazing to me how many post over all boards show of GREAT ;) overcome by trying and sometimes adapting ;)
Its seem we always seem to start a first step, there is always the possible risk to fall over time. But we move forward by courage to try try again, I think :shock:
Because it really makes us happy by trys that really work out over time to. ;)
Just thinking? :roll: Hope this helps??? :roll:

Tom