new to this site

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Master DIVER TOM

Re: new to this site

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

I ponder this question :roll:
POssible career change to ART DIRECTOR position?? Sorry this comes with a true story :shock:
I have a twin degree in animation/filmaking best I ever did a honorable mention in the Chicago film festival. never became Walt Disney :shock: My buddies dad was a BA in a trucking union and strangely enough he Had a arm like ours :shock: He help me learn to drive a semi though a Semi cartage company. Because he drove a semi with a arm like ours, Some how I never thought I could Not learn to drive a because He had limitation to :shock: ;)
Over my life time with birth erbs :roll: You learn to just adapt some how a :idea: turns in to a try :roll: There is a boat load of post like this to of adapting from :idea: to try, not just hope but experience ;) :D :) Weird :idea: sometimes , become a act of God? :shock: Even thaw my good arm got rip up drive a semi injury, I walk away with 25 years of safe driving with birth erbs, God thing?? ;)
Best Trys ,
Hope this helps?? :roll:
Tom :D
Jeff O
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Sept 20, 2011...first diagnosed with cervical spinal stenosis (which was validated by MRI's and EMG's) had four level (c-3 through c-7) cervical spinal fusion. Right shoulder continued to atrophy and symptoms in right hand/arm continued. Recovered very well from surgery, but...was diagnosed with brachial plexus neuritis April 12, 2012. My right hand is my primary hand. Prior to the injury I was an illustrator that specialized in zoo and aquarium exhibit illustration work. I was very physically active playing ice hockey 2-3 days a week, tennis 2-3 days a week and working out. I am a 52 year old male, but was playing hockey in an open (21 and over) league. Now I'm just hoping that the deterioration of my shoulder will stop/has stopped. My right hand is in constant pain/numbness if I move my elbow away from my ribcage. Have a great sense of hopelessness. Just found this site today.

Post by Jeff O »

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the post. I continue to be blown away by the generosity of the members of this forum to take the time to write these most thoughtful/useful posts.

Moving, bending, stretching, pulling...I've always been very physical and have a good PT program 3 days a week supplemented by my own idiotic notions on the off days.

I credit this forum with pushing me to move forward with my inquiries at Mayo.

"I know I will never be the same again, and there will be obstacles and challenges ahead that are too tough to even dream about right now, but I know I will stand up and take that next step because there are hundreds of stories and people like me that are right here doing it everyday."

What a beautifully written paragraph and thank you!

Thanks,

Jeff
Jeff O
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Sept 20, 2011...first diagnosed with cervical spinal stenosis (which was validated by MRI's and EMG's) had four level (c-3 through c-7) cervical spinal fusion. Right shoulder continued to atrophy and symptoms in right hand/arm continued. Recovered very well from surgery, but...was diagnosed with brachial plexus neuritis April 12, 2012. My right hand is my primary hand. Prior to the injury I was an illustrator that specialized in zoo and aquarium exhibit illustration work. I was very physically active playing ice hockey 2-3 days a week, tennis 2-3 days a week and working out. I am a 52 year old male, but was playing hockey in an open (21 and over) league. Now I'm just hoping that the deterioration of my shoulder will stop/has stopped. My right hand is in constant pain/numbness if I move my elbow away from my ribcage. Have a great sense of hopelessness. Just found this site today.

Post by Jeff O »

Tom,

Thanks for the post.

Even though you have twin degrees in animation/film making if you are thinking of making a change toward art direction it might benefit you to take a few classes at a local college that has a good art department.

Even with partial use of your hands maybe Photoshop/Adobe Illustrator and other digital programs would help fine tune your skills for re-entry into the field? The advent of this electronic world has actually created some opportunities for visually creative types like you.

For the past 8-9 months keeping my "hands" busy with these programs has helped me immensely in the sanity department.

Best,

Jeff
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Thanks Jeff,
I like this :shock: Here I was trying to say you might consider becoming a art director with your talent. Then you try to encourage me ;) thanks BUDDY ;) :D You got the spirit!!! My working days are over I am just enjoying retirement , My injuries to good arm gave me carpal tunnel and radial nerve damage which cause a tremor in writing so Art is out to. In the end, I still do my best trys as I can :D So do we all ;) :D Funny I learn to film in 16-mm , Beta came out and technology left me in the dust in 1976. I never regretted going to college or being hurt driving a semi, I love driving a 18 wheeler ;) :D Life is good a world of trying still to do and staying Positive is part of it ;) :D
Best wishes always,
Tom
Jeff O

Post by Jeff O »

Update; All of my pre and post op tests/notes will be arriving at Mayo today by noon...so by now. Hope to hear something in a few days. I have a temporary patient number with them for whatever that's worth.

Thanks again to all who helped prod me on to this point!
Jeff O

update

Post by Jeff O »

I have an appointment at the Mayo Clinic mid June with the Brachial Plexus Dept.

Thanks to all who helped prompt me to this decision by sharing your thoughts and stories!

Will update with any new information.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Post by jmar »

:D so happy you are getting treated now instead of later. the best of luck to you and hope your surgery gives you a lot of function back.
Jeff O

nerve transfer

Post by Jeff O »

I'm scheduled for a nerve transfer from right tricep to front two right deltoid muscles on June 21 at Mayo with Dr. Spinner.

Hoping that this re-innervates the deltoid that has been continuing to atrophy since Sept 20, 2011.

Has anyone out there had this done after 9-10 months of atrophy?
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Post by jmar »

i had muscle atrophy for 14 months. almost missed the deadline for anything being succcessful. but thankfully, i am still seeing different improvements 11 months post-op. some very slight improvements that are not noticable to other people and some that are a little more significant. so hang in there, it wont happen overnight.
Jeff O

Post by Jeff O »

Thanks Jmar and so happy to hear about your HOT/COLD sensation returning to your arm!