Reapplying for SSI?

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Kyoko09
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I obtained the brachial plexus injury at birth (Erb's Palsy), in August 1991. I had two major surgeries in 1992 and 1993.

Reapplying for SSI?

Post by Kyoko09 »

Hello! I'm new to the UBPN, and I was wanting to talk about SSI relations to my BPI.

Background story:

I'm currently a 20 year old college student, who has had BPI since birth. My parents were originally told that my injury was a pinch nerve and would recover. However six months later, in Feb. 1992 it never did. My parents then contacted a disability lawyer who planned to sue my deliverer. But as a result, my parents were told that they would loose the case and it was better to try for SSI instead.

I believe that they applied and as I was accepted with no movement in my left arm. I was then recommended to Children's Hospital outside of OKC, and was told that only three hospitals at the time conducted BPI surgery: Chicago, Houston and another one, I think Orlando? My parents chose Houston as we lived in Oklahoma.

Anyway, I was a guinea pig of these surgeries, and successfully, I came out with partial movement in my left arm/shoulder. From then on, I was considered a disabled child and received SSI.

When I turned 18, I wanted to switch my mom's beneficary to me, as I was then a legal adult. As a result of transitioning from a disabled child to a disabled adult, I had to fill out a form to be considered a disabled adult. But all of the questions asked "What was your life like before the injury?" or "What could you do before this injury?" I submitted the form the best I could, and was denied.

I then agreed to appeal my case to prove that I was disabled. I was sent to a psychologist in OKC, and a family doctor in Hollis (small town). I was turned down at 19, as SSI stated that I could work, by "watching security monitors." I've only seen one job in my town that does this, and it's at my college, with a security cop doing this job.

I have job training, as I was a receptionist from March to October 2011 through a community program (SWODA). But most receptionist jobs require a typing test with two good hands - I currently type with good one hand.

I have received help from Voc Rehab for college as I'm elibgabe for the Pell Grant, but cannot receive due to my parents tax information. They paid for two semesters, but I failed one of them and ashamed of going back after failing on my behalf. SWODA is paying some of my classes now.

Anyway, I'm now thinking of re-applying for SSI as jobs in my area require heavy lifting and or have three or four applying for one job - and I'm usually turned down due to my age or so-called disability.

I'm re-applying without a lawyer first. I'm receiving help from my Systems of Care team, and one team member has experience with appealing disability cases. If I'm denied, I'm thinking of recruiting a lawyer.

Any advice? Is there another type of form specifically for disabled children applying as a disabled adult?

- Liz (Kyoko is my favorite Japanese name)
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Re: Reapplying for SSI?

Post by jmar »

my number one advice.....GET A LAWYER before you go any further.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Just keep Appealing UNTIL.....usually people have gotten approved by the 3rd-4th Appeal without a Lawyer,(I believe...could be inerror on this)??
Carolyn J
LOBPI/73+
chris h.
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Erbs from birth 39 now.no surgeries.right arm

Post by chris h. »

LAWYER. YES.i personally haven't applied but in my state youll be turned down automatically even showing up in a wheelchair the first time without one.
KNOW U CAN!!!!
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Hi, just got back from a dive trip :D

I read this a few times :roll:

Maybe This will Help?????? :shock:

First do see a SSI lawyer ;) You would be filing with a Lack of income issue. Right ;)

Go for it and let it be, let the lawyer try,First :shock: ;) LESS stress :roll: :shock:

Best Trys !!!! :D You never really fail even though TRY ;) I can only hope this Help????????? :shock: ;)

Tom