Studying Medicine with a Brachial Plexus Injury

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Garrett32
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: TBPI Dec. 2002, Avulsion of C5, 6, 7, 8. T1 still hanging in there!
Nerve grafts (x5) have recovered certain functions, but still very limited use of left arm, hand.
More to follow after registration.

Studying Medicine with a Brachial Plexus Injury

Post by Garrett32 »

Hi folks,

I found this site while looking for info on studying medicine with a brachial plexus injury and this is my first post here. So I'll kick off with that - does anyone know of anyone who has or is studying medicine who has a BPI? Or, someone's who is practicing medicine who has suffered a BPI?

I had a motorcycle accident in 2002 that resulted in a complete avulsion of C5, 6, 7 and 8. I've had quite a few nerve graft operations (in '03) and have recovered a good deal of control, but limited usable function. I was studying sports medicine around the time of the injury, which I went on to complete to post-grad level. I then studied for a Masters in Sports Science where I researched gait issues associated to upper limb dysfunction. It was useful in understanding why I get lot of aches and pains from my own running!

However, I've recently thought that if I don't look into studying medicine now, it'll never happen! So any info anyone has on the above questions would be gratefully recieved.

Any if anyone wants to talk about running mechanics in relations to BPI, then I'm all ears too :D

Thanks,
Garrett
Its1105
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: RTBPI - injured during a right cervical rib resection on 12/3/2008 for thoracic outlet syndrome. The doctor completely transected the lateral cord at C5-C6 Erb's pointe and the suprascapular nerve. Had a nerve repair done on 12/12/2008 to reattach the nerves. Did two years of OT. I have some issues with overuse issues with my left shoulder and also have come to find that my joints are hypermobile so I have instability in the joints which causes a lot of problems such as pressure and pain.

Re: Studying Medicine with a Brachial Plexus Injury

Post by Its1105 »

I studied nursing with my BPI. I recieved mine during a surgery and had my nerves severed at C5-C6 and the suprascapular nerve. I also recieved much function back but still lack some feeling, do not have complete ROM, and have chronic nerve pain as well as aching when my arm is hanging down/not fully supported.

My OT told me that I should go into OT school since I had done 2 full years of OT and should have done more had I not lost my insurance. I learned a ton about the injury as well through this and nursing school - although more about BPI's related to birth injuries from nursing school.
--
Marie
RTBPI December 2008
C5-C6
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

There is a Woman MD with an OBPI somewhere on these UBPN Message Boards. I'll try to find her and "bump" her up for you, Garrett.
Carolyn J
LOBPI/73+
marylandmom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Left OBPI. Surgical intervention age 6 years. Good cosmetic effect. Still with significant functional impairment.

Post by marylandmom »

Garrett-
I have LOBPI/Erb's Palsy from birth and I am a board certified, practicing pediatrician. Happy to discuss medical training/life/parenthood with BPI.
The thing I am most amused about is that I learned to take care of my BPI from this site and not anything I learned in medical school (1990-1994)/pediatric training.
Sara
"Marylandmom"
onepaw

Post by onepaw »

Frankly, as long as we expand our horizons beyond our disabilitiies we are in a good field.
I had to get a GED after my tbpi in order to get into college, I subsequently achieved a graduate deg ind psch with an emphasis on rehab.Why wouldn't you keep progressing toward your degree and passion?
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

GREAT GOING,"onepaw"!
Keep On Keeping On 8-)

Carolyn J
LOBPI/74 :)