Spinal cord stimulator

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
KarlwaK
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: TBPI, 7/31/2002, C5 & C6 severed

Spinal cord stimulator

Post by KarlwaK »

Is anyone having success with a spinal cord stimulator for pain management? I'm doing a one week trial to see if it will work for me. I'm unsure if I want to proceed with the permanent implant. It does help mask my chronic pain to a degree. For you analytical individuals I would say it reduces (masks) the pain 10-15% during normal pain conditions. Not a lot right? But what I do find interesting is that those episodes of "stop you in your tracks" pain have decreased dramatically. That feature I like. The down side was was having a wire lead inserted in my spine. The doc was hitting scar tissue (?) and couldn't quite put it as high as he would have liked. My spinal cord did not like that irritation. It felt like I got shot in back and I spent that day consuming Norco like M&Ms. But by day three I was able to move around pretty good without need of any Norco. On the lighter side I have this wire coming out of my neck going to a connector block taped to my back, From there I have two communication cables about 3' long going to the stimulator. I feel like I'm wearing a wire. To avoid possible infection I can't shower. So that's where I'm at in the trial. Anyone else tried it yet?