SSI

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
admin
Site Admin

SSI

Post by admin »

We are in the process of trying to get some help since I can't work because I need to stay home with Thomas. I started reading tonight. on what they "SSI"call a neurological disorder to try and get on ssi there saying persistent disorganization or deficit of motor function for age involving [two or more extremities , which {despite precribed therapy} interferes with age-appropriate major daily activities and results in disruption of: A Fine and gross movements; or Gaint and station. So my question is are we getting turned down because we only have one arm he can't use. I just don't understand' this had made me very upset It's getting so hard to make ends meet with doctor bills therapy and this will go on the rest of his life... I just needed to cry and vent a little. Carron

Kathleen

Re: SSI

Post by Kathleen »

Dear Carron

I copied the following from the SS website. I researched when I filed for ssd...
One of the most important things that you need is good medical documentation. And possibly a letter from your doctors stating that you are the best care provider for your child and that it is in the best intrest of his health that you take care of him...

Do not give up be persistent...

While I was researching the SS dept... to see how I could file... because I have always functioned at a high level I had to prove I was disabled...

You may or may not have check this out but I'll post it just in case it might help..

This is from the SS web site.

http://www.ssa.gov/disability/

Blue Book
Disability Evaluation Under Social Security
(also know as the "Blue Book")
Listing of Impairments- Part A

The following sections in Part are applicable to individuals age 18 and over and to children under age 18 where criteria are appropriate…

11.01 Category of Impairments, Neurological

C. Persistent disorganization of motor function in the form of paresis or paralysis, tremor or other involuntary movements , ataxia and sensory disturbances(any or all of which may be due to cerebral, cerebella, brainstem, spinal cord or peripheral nerve dysfunction) which occur singly or in various combinations, frequently provides the sole or partial basis for decision in cases of neurological impairment. The assessment of impairment depends on the degree of interference with locomotion and/or interference with the use of fingers, hands and arms.

ll.08
Spinal cord or nerve root lesions, due to any cause with disorganization of motor function as described in 11.04B

11.04 Central nervous system vascular accident. With one of the following more
then 3 months post-vascular accident:

A. Sensory or motor aphasia resulting in ineffective speech or communication; or

B. Significant and persistent disorganization of motor function in two extremities, resulting in sustained disturbance of gross and dexterous movements, or gait or station (see ll.c)

11.14 Peripheral neuropathies. With disorganization of motor function as described in 11.04b, in spite of prescribed treatment.

Also some information for both Adults and Children under l.00 Musculoskeletal System.

Parents should also check the book for Listing of impairments part B same sections but some of the wording is a little different...
Kathleen

Post by Kathleen »

Sorry this is the link to the Blue Book

http://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/

Kathleen@ubpn.org

Post by Kathleen@ubpn.org »

Dear Carron,

I think we may of spoken on the phone a short time ago on SSI benefits.

If I can be of any assistance to you, please email me at Kathleen@ubpn.org.

I know the process is very frustrating and time-consuming.

Kathleen Kennedy

muzik2407

Post by muzik2407 »

Hello, I applied in Florida for SSI and after filling out the form and gathering all the medical documents that they would need to process, I was denied even before they took a look at her disability. There 1st focus was on the family income. I would appreciate if anyone else could share some light into the process. Thanks
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

BUMPING UP for "mom5"

Hugs all around UBPN Family,
Carolyn J
LOBPI/73 8-) :)
gawilliams
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter born 8/16/10 has OBPI in the right arm....First surgery(nerve graft) done at 5 months(performed by Dr. Kozin).... four avulsions, one rupture (at the spine)..... As of 4/9/11 still no movement in arm, wrist or hand. As June 2013, bicep, elbow, shoulder function active, flexing with gravity, still no wrist or hand/finger function.

Post by gawilliams »

I applied for my daughter within the first month or so of her birth, about six mos later I got a reply .... DENIED... I don't understand, they said she doesnt qualify.. She has no use of her right arm.... This upsets me as well. It's so frustrating. I'm thinking of re-applying, does anyone have any useful information? Thanks in advance
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

"gawilliams",
The general recommendation is to Appeal,Appeal,Appeal UNTIL.
A good number of us got Social Security Disability, after the 2nd Appeal. SS added a new Code for Brachial Plexus Injuries. Please refer to Kath's post of Oct. 4th. BTW, SSI has Household financial income limits connected to eligibility, and SS Disability does not have financial criteria. The Right to Appeal is connected to both.
Carolyn J.
LOBPI/73+
determined
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Female born in Fall 2010 with injury to right arm, shoulder.

Post by determined »

[quote="Carolyn J"]"gawilliams",
The general recommendation is to Appeal,Appeal,Appeal UNTIL.
A good number of us got Social Security Disability, after the 2nd Appeal. SS added a new Code for Brachial Plexus Injuries. [b]Please refer to Kath's post of Oct. 4th.

Where you state, "Please refer to Keth's post of Oct. 4th."----I have looked for it and cannot find it. Could you post some more direction as to how to find Kath's post?

Thanks!
determined
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Female born in Fall 2010 with injury to right arm, shoulder.

Just Found Kath's post

Post by determined »

:Never mind. I just found Kath's Oct 4th post.

Thanks........