Has anyone been to Cincinnati Children's?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
LSMommy

Has anyone been to Cincinnati Children's?

Post by LSMommy »

My son was born 2 months ago and sustained a brachial plexus injury during birth. My husband and I are looking for the best Dr to see our son. We live closest to Cincinnati and I have seen on their website that they have a Brachial Plexus center. We are more than willing to travel to get the best for our son. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
RaisingCropsandBabys

Re: Has anyone been to Cincinnati Children's?

Post by RaisingCropsandBabys »

My son has been seeing the Brachial Plexus Team at Cincy Children's since he was 6 weeks old (is now 4 years old). I can not say enough wonderful things about them. He's been through 2 surgeries with them and the care, commitment, and knowledge they've shown us has brought me such comfort and peace throughout the years. They are one of the top-rated and their form of care (multi-disciplinary) is absolutely amazing. Each child is seen by a surgeon (and their residents normally), pm and r doctor, a very knowledgable OT, nurse, research person, and social worker. So as a parent, i feel like it's very well-rounded and I love how they discuss each of their perspectives and then create a care plan/plan of action with the parents.

I highly recommend talking with them at least! Even better if you live close by (we are 4 hours, but I would have traveled 9 hours to get to them)! Can not say enough good things.
LSMommy

Post by LSMommy »

Thank you so much for your reply! I will definitely give them a call :) He is currently seeing an orthopedic surgeon here in Indianapolis, but no one here specializes in brachial plexus and I would feel much better knowing my baby is getting specialized care. Thanks again, I really appreciate your insight.
sydsmom

Post by sydsmom »

Hi..My daughter is 12 years old, we live in Cincinnati & have seen the doctors at Cincinnati Children's several times with the last time being a couple weeks ago. I would certainly suggest you visit with them. They haven't done any surgeries on her (she had those done in Houston), but they are very knowledgeable and caring. If you have any questions you can contact me at dmalfieri@cincy.rr.com

Deanna
justadad
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter with OBPI Left Arm

Post by justadad »

We really liked the Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy at Children's in Cincinnati. We preferred surgions in Boston, MA. The Boston surgeons were great for us. Boston and CIncinnati surgeons have differnet preferences for when surgery needs to be done.
claudia

Post by claudia »

Generally, you should get at least three opinions before doing anything. I have met the docs at Cincinnati Children's and like them very much. We also use Dr. Waters at Children's Hospital Boston, Dr. Kozin at Shriner's Philly, Dr. Price in NYC, Dr. Armenta in Houston. We have also gone to LA to see Dr. Pearl (though we lived in NY at the time).

there is also an excellent program in Atlanta..

if you go to our medical resource directory you can learn a lot about the docs and we have their contact info there too. The docs tend to be very "user friendly" and will respond to emails, etc.

good luck,
claudia
Its1105
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: RTBPI - injured during a right cervical rib resection on 12/3/2008 for thoracic outlet syndrome. The doctor completely transected the lateral cord at C5-C6 Erb's pointe and the suprascapular nerve. Had a nerve repair done on 12/12/2008 to reattach the nerves. Did two years of OT. I have some issues with overuse issues with my left shoulder and also have come to find that my joints are hypermobile so I have instability in the joints which causes a lot of problems such as pressure and pain.

Post by Its1105 »

I had Dr. Mih of the Indiana Hand and Shoulder Center do my surgery for BPI. He works through Riley Hospital for Children though as well and MAINLY does his BPI surgeries on the little ones - that is how my doctor found him to do my surgery for my TBPI. He did an awesome job on me. I am sure you are already working with Cincinnati by now, but I just wanted to throw his name out there in case you do want to get any other opinions. He did his fellowships through John's Hopkins and the Mayo Clinic if I remember correctly. But I do remember he had great credentials as I was looking at him and then possibly being transferred to University of Michigan and a few other hospital across the US after my injury. Best of luck for your little one!
--
Marie
RTBPI December 2008
C5-C6