Can BPI get worse?

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
SarahxG
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: To make an incredibly LONG story short...
When I was born, my mother's doctor was out of town. A doctor that would not perform c-sections was forced upon us. Being 10 lbs, my right shoulder got stuck under my mom's pubic bone. The doctor pulled me out by my head, which ripped/streched all the nerves in my neck and arm (So, OBPI).
I've had two surgeries at 9 months old, and 3 years old.
My mother suffered as well. She needed both brain surgery and a shunt--She still sufferes today.
My parents lost the court case due to a terrible jurey.

That's about it!
Hope I can find somebody my age to talk to :)

Can BPI get worse?

Post by SarahxG »

I'm 15 years old. The last month or so my arm has seemed to be very tight/stiff. I wear a Dyna Splint at night to straighten my elbow. However, it does not seem to be working!
My arm feels as though it's "turning inward". Can't think of any other terminology. I am not as active as I was a year or so ago...Could this be a factor?

Thanks!
Sarah
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Re: Can BPI get worse?

Post by jmar »

if you are not getting enough excercise, it can get stiff on you. try doing more excercise. or at least as much as you were once doing. i have found that if i go even one day without my excercises, my hand starts to get stiff. the best thing i have found is water excercises. the ymca has a lot of water excercise classes. you dont even have to know how to swim. it is cool. its like dance class but in the water.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Excercises in a warm water pool is extremely helpful as in water you get more resistance and you get twice the results for your efforts in the water than out of water!
HUggz,
"Gramma" Carolyn J
LOBPI/73
SarahxG
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: To make an incredibly LONG story short...
When I was born, my mother's doctor was out of town. A doctor that would not perform c-sections was forced upon us. Being 10 lbs, my right shoulder got stuck under my mom's pubic bone. The doctor pulled me out by my head, which ripped/streched all the nerves in my neck and arm (So, OBPI).
My mother suffered as well. She needed both brain surgery and a shunt--She still sufferes today.

That's about it!

Post by SarahxG »

Thanks! I'll have to look into it.
Does anybody have a different elbow in their BPI side? Mine is much different. My mom is scared that it could be forming a bone block, or something of that nature
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

Post by Carolyn J »

Sarah, What do you mean "different? Can you describe it? or post a picture?
Carolyn J
LOBPI/73
SarahxG

That's about it!

Post by SarahxG »

Sorry for the delayed response. Anyway, my right elbow is more "boney" if that makes sense. It's a bit larger than my left and it does not go to the same kind of point as my left. I actually just went to the doctor and they did xrays. He said that it is a little different than my left. He said he believes it's just from not using it as much
Carolyn J

Post by Carolyn J »

Almost all adults who post here have smaller BPI arms,elbows included, than our unaffected ones.since each person's injuries are a different, the elbow thing is different too.
Carolyn J
LOBPI/73+ 8-)