Questions about osteotomy

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
sydsmom

Questions about osteotomy

Post by sydsmom »

Saw the doctors in Cincinnati. They think that the osteotomy might be a possibility for my daughter (12 years old). Just wanting to get some info on it. Did it help? Was it painful? How bad is the scar? What kind of splint? Those type of things...Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
ironmansmom

Re: Questions about osteotomy

Post by ironmansmom »

my son had humeral and forearm osteotomy....neither were bad, scar about 3-4 inches long on front of arm(bicep area) for humeral and forearm, you can barely see it. He doesn't scar very well, we did scar massage and patches, it doesn't look great, but is getting better with time.

Very easy, quick surgery, both times just casted like he had a broken arm. He was overly pronated and the osteotomy didn't help at all. (either one)...he ended up having triangle tilt surgery with Dr. Nath and his arm is in a better position now.

It was recommended to do triangle tilt first, but we wanted to try a less invasive surgery,(osteotomy) which didn't work. Dr Nath told us we could try, but he didn't think it would....and he was right.

Hope you have better luck, all of our kiddos injuries are different, so maybe it will work for your child!

ironmansmom
sydsmom

Post by sydsmom »

Thanks ironmansmom,

I'm glad your son is doing better now. That's exactly what I'm afriad of. I don't want her to have to go through a surgery that doesn't help. Where did you have it done if you don't mind me asking? I'm thinking about sending all the records to Dr. Nath to get a 2nd opinion. He did her Mod Quad and bicep lengthening. I'm just not sure if the triangle tilt is a good fit for her. Do you know what the triangle tilt does?
ironmansmom

Post by ironmansmom »

we were so scared to have triangle tilt so we just kept putting it off, but you can't put off the inevitable...if you go to nath's website, it describes the surgery..we are 3 years post-op so I can't remember exactly he did. His arm is in a much better position now...not as much of the shoulder slumping inward, arm looks closer in size(it is just the positioning that makes it look better), more neutral position as well. Dr Nath says it still looks good, so that makes me happy(and him, he has had 8 surgeries).

Dr Davino in Houston did the osteotomies. VERY nice doctor...
sydsmom

Post by sydsmom »

Wow..8 surgeries? That's a lot! So, are you from the Houston area? How old is your son? I'm really glad he's doing better. This is such a hard thing for us to go through as parents, but much worse for the kids :(
ironmansmom

Post by ironmansmom »

no, we are from central Illinois....primary, modquad, capsulodesis, bicep tendon lengthening, humeral osteotomy, forearm osteotomy and triangle tilt...oops 7! (I think I was counting them number of times he has been under anesthesia(his cousin accidently broke his nose and it had to be surgically corrected...boys!) He is almost 14 now and still has problems, but we are very thankful for being able to have use of his arm that he now has.