21 months post OP and i can flex

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
troy

21 months post OP and i can flex

Post by troy »

Sorry its been so long since my last post but thought I would share my good news. I am writing this post not to gloat but give hope to those who need it and show that sometimes the operations do work. Trust me when I say it was hard work and it takes a lot to get up and train do physio and the pool work but sometimes it pays off. I know I am extremly lucky and write this for the people sitting at home woundering if they should even try because I know I used to be one of them. I also used to read these posts looking for positives. I wont go into my whole injury but for those who havent read my posts from the start. I lost all use of my right arm and shoulder. Luckly no avulsions but basically all nerves severed. My hand and wrist have nothing but my shoulder is nearly back to normal with some loss of movement but no sublaxing and super strong. My bycep and tricep are working as a very weak 4. I can bend my elbow and straighten my arm. I can even do free style and back stroke in pool but not to far( I look stupid and I know its my other muscles working and compencating but its freedom ). I really only do it as a novility to myself. The arm is getting bigger and stronger every day. The Doctors were super happy and probably proud of themselves (as they should be) when I seen them last month. I cant pronate or supernat my forarm but I may be able to do something to make it feel and look more natural when I flex. The next OP's will be to brake and position my arm in a certain position to alow for it to bend without rubbing against my tummy. (running style) External Rotation Osteotomy and Fusion of the Inferior Radioulnar Joint. Prob fuse my wrist and get some finger function through using Latissismus Dorsi plus or minus a Free Muscle Transfer one to the extensor side and one to the flexor side. Anyway hope this gives hope to some and if anyone has some advice for me I would love to hear it.
AngelaW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: X

Re: 21 months post OP and i can flex

Post by AngelaW »

Excellent exellent! Hope it just keeeps better and better. I've found being able to bend the arm is shockingly useful. I'm glad you posted your successes. People need to hear about the good things that are happening with treating this injury. Don't ever worry about sounding like you're gloating or being too happy. I do believe we are here to give support during the "Ups" as well as the Downs" lol :)
ArmStrong
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: HI BPI FAMILY ON SEPT.19 2010 I CRASHED ON MY MOTORCYCLE AND SUFFERD A FRACTURED BACK AND NECK AND A CLOSED,TRAUMATIC BPI LEFT ARM PARALYZED,SOME FINGER AND WRIST MOVEMENT.

Post by ArmStrong »

CONGRATS! THATS GREAT NEWS,I'M VERY HAPPY FOR YOU! I HOPE THINGS KEEP PROGRESSING AND YOU MAKE A FULL RECOVERY!
dickbocc

Post by dickbocc »

your news is great !! are you at liberty to tell us your age and what procedure was performed as well as the name of doctor & hospital ?
troy

Post by troy »

Hi mate, Im 35 now and the doctors were Prof Tonkin and Dr Biggs at the Royal North Shore Private Hospital in Sydney Australia. I had nerve grafts from my calves to shoulder, bicep and elbow. 2x 15cm grafts and 1x 30cm grafts.
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

The limitation your left with in a life time will be BRIGHT if you can assist your good side in thing your doing GREAT-!! If a Doctor tells you ever that ( you should of seen me sooner) get a second option FAST!! ;) I hate SMOG DOCTOR , Seen way to many Doctors like this! Attitude does not help your self- esteem in life. Treatment changes you read here and some with direction on how to- Live or get new treatment ;) . What I say might help??? OR not :shock: . When you say something here you are never judge ever!!!! ;) :D Some times I know it could be better when I write or explain a thought :shock:
Mr Positive forever!!! :oops:
Tom
hilltopfwb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: May 24, 2008 an 88 year old lady did not see me and pulled out while I was riding my 06 HD Street Glide. The accident resulted in 9 broken bones and brain hemorrhaging. The accident's most serious results was two avulsions confirmed in my C6 & C7 vertebrae. In Oct of 08 Dr. Li of Wake Forest University performed nerve transfer lasting around 8 hours in surgery. I have limited use now of my left arm. It took until July of 09 before it moved at all, and now is moving limited. I experience burning pain in my left hand, staying busy helps keep the mind off of burning. I visited the Mayo Clinic May, 2010 and consulted with their brachial plexus team. May 1, 2012, I underwent a muscle transfer at Wake Forest University. This surgery was deemed a success and I have more movement in my arm.

Post by hilltopfwb »

Congratulations - that is tremendous news. Thanks for sharing it and keep on keeping on!