Children after child with OBPI????

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
maj0079
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter has a Right OBPI. Has had neurolysis on 2/7 at 9 months old.

Children after child with OBPI????

Post by maj0079 »

So, my first born had shoulder dystocia for less than a minute and it resulted in her Right OBPI. It is pretty profound as she has no external rotation and she still can not get her fist to her mouth.

My question is for parents who have had children after the one with the OBPI. I am pregnant with our 2nd child and because of what happened with my daughter, my doctor says she would prefer me to have a c-section with this baby, which means also with any other child after it. I am kind of torn on what to do. I would really hope it wouldn't happen again, BUT my daughter was only 6lbs 10oz and still had shoulder dystocia. Did you have a c-section with subsequent children or chance it and have them naturally?

Thanks for your input!
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Re: Children after child with OBPI????

Post by F-Litz »

I remember watching a video of (midwife) Ina May Gaskin years ago where she said that every birth had it's moment of "shoulder dystocia" (where the shoulder gets stuck) and that it's a matter of what the practitioner does at that very moment.

I'm not suggesting that you go in either direction - I know moms who did well with c-sections after the first (injured) baby -- I know moms who did well with vaginal births after the first (injured) baby. And I know kids who were injured with c-sections as well. It really runs the gamut.

Do your research. Make this conversation front and center. If you want to go vaginal - find the doctor who has the track record of being able to dislodge babies without injuring them. Find the one who can sit down and talk to you about this openly and at great length and devise a plan for the what if's.

But being that your first baby was on the small side, I would first have someone determine if there was any physical issue with your pelvic structure -- was it too small - was it shaped differently... I would check on that.

Best of luck and have a GREAT BIRTH!! :)
-francine
maj0079
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter has a Right OBPI. Has had neurolysis on 2/7 at 9 months old.

Post by maj0079 »

Thanks for the comment. My Dr is pulling my charts to review everything. However, out here very rarely does your ob deliver you. You are most likely going to be delivered by someone who has never met you before. That's San Diego. Oh well either way I'll do what's best for my baby!
Karenw3
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daugter, Grace, 3-14-02, LOBPI. Primary nerve graft and mod quad surgeries done at TCH before by age 13 mo.

Post by Karenw3 »

There have been several other posts about this same topic, so you might try looking them up to get more advice. I think it is a very personal decision b/c as Francine so eloquently put in the earlier post, you are going to find successful outcomes in many different cases. My daughter was 8 lbs. 3 oz--not huge, but not small either. I did not want to run the risk of having a problem due to a baby that would probably be as large if not larger than my first. Also, my "new" obgyn was much more comfortable with a c-section and I chose that route. I subsequently had two other children after my first lobpi child. I chose to have a c-section with both and I must admit, it was unbelievably easy compared to my firstborn. No matter what you choose, hope all goes well.