NEED INSPIRATION..NICK VUJICIC

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
MadisonB
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: During my right shoulder surgery about three months ago three nerves in my arm were stretched causing my Brachial Plexus Palsy. The outer part of my upper arm is numb to touch, as well as the inside of my forearm. This continues up to the palm of my hand to my thumb and pointer finger. I have movement in my hand but that is about it. I am unable to pick up my arm at all. I had the crushing and burning hand for about two months, but now it had dulled out. I am nineteen years old and played volleyball for a college. I went back for my second semester of college but had to medically withdraw. We are now waiting to see if the nerve wakes up, if there are no differences at the end of the month we are going to visit the Mayo Clinic to see what surgical options I might have.

Re: NEED INSPIRATION..NICK VUJICIC

Post by MadisonB »

"I don't need easy... just possible."

I have yet to see the movie Soul Surfer, but I have had friends send me quotes from it. I am about six months post injury, but mine is healing. I am 19 years old, and I will admit that I was crazy. I mean crazy in the good way, I did everything. And I was living the good life, like you said. I had a full ride at my college for volleyball. But in January I had to walk away from it, and withdraw from my school. I had to leave my friends behind as well. I will admit I went into a pretty deep depression after that, and I am just now getting out of it. I had found this forum to be very inspiring, and have gotten amazing tips and pep talks from people going through the same thing. I cannot thank them enough. I will also admit that I shut people out completely. I only left the house for doctor appointments. It killed my spirit.
The pain is unbearable right now. And it is so hard to explain to people what it feels like. People just don't understand, and that is what I find frustrating. But I am here if you ever want to talk. I am a talker... and we could help each other.

Nothing is easy in life, but there are a lot of possibilities.
ArmStrong
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: HI BPI FAMILY ON SEPT.19 2010 I CRASHED ON MY MOTORCYCLE AND SUFFERD A FRACTURED BACK AND NECK AND A CLOSED,TRAUMATIC BPI LEFT ARM PARALYZED,SOME FINGER AND WRIST MOVEMENT.

Post by ArmStrong »

HEY MADISON B. THAT'S A GREAT QUOTE,AFTER I SAW THE TRAILOR FOR THE MOVIE I FOUND MYSELF SAYING IT AROUND THE HOUSE.I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL,I'VE BEEN IN A FUNK MYSELF SINCE THIS ACCIDENT,IT'S HARD BECAUSE YOU FEEL SO ALONE. I WOULD FIND MYSELF AT THE DOCTORS OFFICE LOOKING AT ALL THESE PEOPLE IN ARM SLINGS AND CASTS AND I'M THINKING TO MYSELF "THEY ARE SO LUCKY I'M THE ONLY ONE IN HERE WITH THIS INJURY!" AND MOST PEOPLE WHO DON'T KNOW THINK I JUST HAVE A BROKEN ARM AND I THINK TO MYSELF "I WISH IT WAS THAT SIMPLE".I THINK FOR ME ONE OF THE HARDEST THINGS TO DEAL WITH IS THAT IN ALMOST EVERY CASE THIS INJURY IS PERMANENT,THE DOCTORS CAN ONLY DO SO MUCH.I'M IN A MOTORCYCLE CLUB AND SPRING/SUMMER TIME IS WHEN WE RIDE HARD AND I'LL TELL YOU EVERY TIME I SEE A BIKE RIDER,EVEN ON T.V. IT DRIVES ME CRAZY,ALL OF IT DRIVES ME CRAZY! OH HOW I MISS LIFTING WEIGHTS AND PLAYING BALL.....BUT WE HAVE TO TAKE IT ONE DAY AT A TIME,ACCEPTANCE IS PART OF HEALING AND BELIEVE ME I HAVE ALONG WAY TO GO.I HAVEN'T STARTED GETTING BACK OUT THERE YET MYSELF,I'VE BEEN LIKE YOU, TO THE DOCTOR AND BACK HOME AND THAT'S NOT ME AT ALL,I'M USED TO HAVING A FULLY SCHEDULED DAY.I'M SURE AT SOME POINT I'LL GET BACK TO SOCIALIZING AND BEING WITH FRIENDS,IF I HAVE ANY LEFT..LOL..BUT RIGHT NOW IT'S HARD FOR ME TO BE AROUND FOLKS,I'M NOT USE TO SITTING ON THE SIDE LINE WHEN I SHOULD BE IN THE GAME BUT WITH THE SEEMINGLY CONSTANT PAIN AND CARRYING THIS ARM AROUND LIKE A NEW BORN,IT'S HARD ENOUGH JUST TO MAKE IT THROUGH THE DAY. BUT YOU SOUND LIKE A TROOPER SO KEEP PUSHING FORWARD IT CAN ONLY GET BETTER,MAKE SURE YOU GET SOME SUNSHINE AND DON'T CLOSE THOSE FRIENDS OUT,I'M SURE THEY MISS YOU AND I'M GOING TO TRY TO DO THE SAME.GOOD LUCK AND BEST WISHES TTYL.
djk
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: extensive right side brachial plexus injury as a result of a motorcycle accident on 8/25/10.

Post by djk »

hey armstrong it is more important for you to be in the gym lifting weights now than it was before so do it. get yourself one of dan's slings or similar and just start lifting and running.
ArmStrong
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: HI BPI FAMILY ON SEPT.19 2010 I CRASHED ON MY MOTORCYCLE AND SUFFERD A FRACTURED BACK AND NECK AND A CLOSED,TRAUMATIC BPI LEFT ARM PARALYZED,SOME FINGER AND WRIST MOVEMENT.

Post by ArmStrong »

WHATS UP DJK...I THINK YOU ARE RIGHT BECAUSE THIS SUDDEN DECLINE IN ACTIVITY IS STARTING TO TAKE A TOLL ON ME,I'M GOING TO HAVE GET PASS THE MENTAL BLOCK AND JUST DO IT.
THANKS
djk
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: extensive right side brachial plexus injury as a result of a motorcycle accident on 8/25/10.

Post by djk »

yeah armstrong get your testosterone checked and if you need to, get your doc to help you out in that area, one armed kinda gimpy guys need to be just about maxed out on the test to help in the rebuilding process and then just workout friend. squats are your friend at this point. i do 70% machines cause that's where i came from anyway and those machines are easier to control. but lift free weights with good arm. just take it darn easy cause you only got the one good arm. if your body is like mine you are doing a big rebalancing thing and it's very important to stay as close to top form as you can during this trip.