BPI Mommy support??

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Boomer2009
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My son Parker was born at 37 weeks weighing 8lbs 14oz on January 15, 2009. WAY too big for me! Having had a difficult birth resulted in a left arm brachial plexsus injury. Parker has been in therapy since he was a month. has had an MRI and an EMG done. At this point no surigical intervention. Such a strong little guy.

BPI Mommy support??

Post by Boomer2009 »

I am just now finding this site and I have been researching my son's injury for 2 years now. So excited to see there is support out there! My son, Parker was born 01/15/2009 at 37 weeks and weighed in at 8lbs 14oz. I am a very petite woman, so needless to say he got stuck and had to be pulled out. I was denied any more ultrasounds than the two i got back to back at 22 and 23 weeks.
I have support from my family, but I am in Arizona and they are all in Michigan. My son's father and I are not together any longer and he does not help with therapy etc. It is nice to fianlly meet with others who I can share and receive info with! It's also so great to know what it's like as a pre teen and teenager and adult dealing with this injury.
Lauren
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Re: BPI Mommy support??

Post by marieke »

Post this in the OBPI section, you will get more responses as this is the traumatic board and not quite the same.
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: BPI Mommy support??

Post by Carolyn J »

Welcome Lauran to our UBPN Family.
Yes, I suggest copy & Paste your above post on the "General Message Forum Board"
because thats where Mothers and Fathers ususally post. Alto' everyone is welcome on any of the forum boards.
As "Jmar" reminded me, there is no such thing as a dumb question except the one that isn't asked. :roll:
Huggz all around Readers,Posters and Lurkers,
Carolyn J :mrgreen:
LOBPI/72