Tips on getting around with one arm.

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Re: Tips on getting around with one arm.

Post by jmar »

a problem i have is putting a glove on my GOOD hand. i have no grip or strength to pull the glove up with my bad hand. any suggestions? it hurts my teeth to try with my teeth. :cry:
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

THANKS, Druxton for these great tips; i did not know that about the Droid phone.
You guys are awesome. I learn sooo much from you.

Sorry Joyce (jmar), I am able to use my teeth for putting glove on my "good" hand...ohhh!..how about putting a cloth in your mouth surrounding your teeth before placing the 1 side of glove in your mouth/teeth...(a barrier between it won't hurt as much; also maybe you are clinching your teeth too tight (unnecessarily...I've done that!...lol)

HUGS all around readers,"lurkers" & "post-ers"
"bossy Gramma" Carolyn J :roll:
LOBPI/72
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Post by jmar »

thank you caroline. i can not put cloth in my mouth at all. i am EXTREMELY sensitive to a lot of textures in my mouth. i cant even tolerate a lot of food textures. besides that, i have sensitive teeth.
druxton

Post by druxton »

jmar.....I guess the obvious answer then would be to get a bigger glove, are you talking about a snow glove, rubber glove...? How about a mitten? Unfortunately sometimes in these situations you have to be comfortable enough to ask for help if it's available. I'm not big on the teeth situation myself but i know it works for many. Be careful not to chip or damage your teeth;-) I looked on the website of Sammons Preston and didn't find any aid to help put on a glove. Just of note, be careful about keeping your other hand warm as well. the hand that doesn't function is actually more sensitive to the cold. And if you have no feeling in that hand it will be difficult for you to even notice the cold. Keep warm!!
jmar

Post by jmar »

i would ask for help but i live alone and have no help. i am thinking about putting a hook on the wall and hanging a glove on the hook and slipping my hand into it that way. my bad hand is very sensitive to heat and cold and i do wear an extra glove on that hand. i have come up with an idea on a product to deal with this issue. but i dont know where to take the idea. i have to find out.
druxton

Post by druxton »

You would need a patent attorney. In what area do you live. My husband is an attorney and can get you a name to talk to about a patent. If you have an idea go for it. I just worked with a women whose husband designed the little pin for hip replacement surgeries, yep and last year she donated 10 million dollars to an organization in our area to support the arts. So take your idea and make something of it.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

Post by Carolyn J »

Great! A hook will work,Joyce/jmar!
HUGS and Keep On Keepin' on!,
Carolyn J
LOBPI/72

"many things have tangled my feet, but nothing has held me fast." anon.
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
jmar

Post by jmar »

thank you druxton. i left you a private message.
philip
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Gun shot to left shoulder, brachial plexus injury to left arm and hand, all five nerves blown out, Dr Klein and Dr Tiel did the surgery.

Post by philip »

Well doing stuff with one hand has taken a toll on my good arm, thank God i just got married, now i have some help, GOD BLESS US ALL.
Carolyn J

Post by Carolyn J »

Hello Phillip,
Even tho' you are married now, Please take care &Guard your "good" arm. Consider yourselve forewarned.
I didn't when I was a "young'un" and I have paid for it. :(
Hugs all around "TBPI-Land" Readers, posters and Lurkers,
Carolyn J
LOBPI/ age 72 8-)

"many things have tangled my feet, but nothing has held me fast." anon.
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI