Airport full body scans

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Judy-T
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right arm OBPI One surgery at age 40 Ulnar nerve retransposition

Airport full body scans

Post by Judy-T »

I can now add something else to my list that frustrates me. This full body scan at airports is very frustrating to me. I have not yet personally have had to go thru one., but another embarassing,frustrating moment of someone telling me to raise both arms. Can UBPN make a no-scan card stating about the injury we have so that we can hand it the TSA scanners?
AngelaW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: X

Re: Airport full body scans

Post by AngelaW »

That's been worrying me too lately, mostly because I have various screws and plates in my body and I don't know were all of them are located. I really don't want to get strip searched every time I fly. I'm going to see if my doctor can make a list for me of all the metal parts in my body, lol. Hopefully they will have smoothed out their policies by the next time I would have to fly.......
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

ive had to go through them, i used my good arm to hold my bad arm up and they only said a little... i was like i have a disability thats the best i can do and they accepted it
~Mel/23/LOBPI
Louise

Post by Louise »

Just flew a couple months ago....Elizabeth had a full arm cast along with a sling...they had her go through the scanner and then they used the wand to wand under her cast/sling against her body!!!!! They wanded her to make sure she did not have any drugs hiding in her cast.....we had all the cards about screws and plates with the logo from Shriners Hospital and they did not believe us........
One Day at a Time Through Gods Graces!
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

With all the safety precautions..... we went to florida, right near the gate to the airplane is a dunkin donuts. Maia went and got a bagel with cream cheese and a donut. Well they gave her a serrated plastic knife to bring on the airplane. What the heck ???

Don't let them bully you! And don't let them take away your constitutional rights.
gawilliams
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter born 8/16/10 has OBPI in the right arm....First surgery(nerve graft) done at 5 months(performed by Dr. Kozin).... four avulsions, one rupture (at the spine)..... As of 4/9/11 still no movement in arm, wrist or hand. As June 2013, bicep, elbow, shoulder function active, flexing with gravity, still no wrist or hand/finger function.

Post by gawilliams »

We fly to Philadelphia to see Dr. Kozin in two weeks. How do they scan infants? I am so not feeling this....
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

When I went to Europe for Narakas conference in 04.... I WAS the little old lady pulled out to be wanded at almost every airport in Italy, NY and Greece.............. I was so annoyed because the PC police have taken over.

I lost two family members in 9/11 so... I really want to be safe.... But don't touch my Junk man was right!

I don't look disabled until I have to raise my arms. I was refused early boarding in Seattle on my way home from camp because the man said " You don't look like your disables"... Now what happens when they say put up your hands or extend them out to the side...duh!

Kath... not flying till they find a better way.
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
swimhappy

Post by swimhappy »

I went through one when I flew home from Holland last summer. I simply told them that I couldn't raise my arm, and they just nodded said to do what I could. I thought it was going to be a big deal, but it wasn't at all.
louise_g

Post by louise_g »

My partner (who has BPI) got a note from her doctors saying she has a metal bar in her arm as she was panicking that she'd set the alarm off when she walks through the scanners (first time flying since her accident). We went through the scanners (silence - no alarm) then immediately and in a really loud excitable voice she said "the alarm didn't go off!" it was hilarious and really really lucky that no-one noticed; I was expecting a dozen armed guards to descend on us! She knows not to say anything when we go through airport security now. :lol: She hasn't needed to use the note yet either.