Gainful Employment

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
onepaw

Re: Gainful Employment

Post by onepaw »

I should have read some of te other replies first, they are all good but Carolyn J hit the nail on the head:talk to Voc rehab. Don't let them park you as they will only put as much into your recovery as you are willing to do for yourself. They have the resources, but the initiative and motivation are yours. I would do some interest and ability testing to get started.
If you can do the "essential functions" of your old job with or without "reasonable" accomadations then, at least in the states, you have grounds for an ADA lawsuit.
As for voice activation,Dragon 11 professional (the very latest version) is well above 10 though it is expensive ($700.00?). You can get Prefered (basic voice) for much less but Professional will let you make-up commands etc. This would be an accomadation that would be considered "reasonable" just about anywhere. If you have been using a qwerty keyboard for years, I don't know that I would switch, but you could try it. You can go on kp typing tutor, or something like it, and see how it works for you. With old keyboards you can simply pull the keys out and switch them to the one-handed Dvorak lay-out, or you can get stickers to go over your keys from Key Connection 1-800-870-1369. None of this is easy,keep the faith, DO NOT give-up on yourself!
dani_was_here
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Traumatic BPI, June 8, 2008, Nerve graft surgery

Re: Gainful Employment

Post by dani_was_here »

Right now I'm sitting at home burning through my retirement fund to keep afloat. My disability insurance cut me off, work fired me and CPP denied my claim but I have appealed that decision. The tendonitis in my unaffected hand is getting worse as that hand is starting to go numb. I can only work on the computer for about 15 min at a time and driving seems to be aggravating it as well. The only vocational rehab I can find is through CPP and you have to be approved for CPP disability before you are eligible. I'd like to retrain but my doctor is saying I'm going to need 2 more surgeries so starting school before that's done is going to work. If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate your input but keep in mind I'm in Canada.