Ronald McDonald House in Philly

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
gawilliams
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter born 8/16/10 has OBPI in the right arm....First surgery(nerve graft) done at 5 months(performed by Dr. Kozin).... four avulsions, one rupture (at the spine)..... As of 4/9/11 still no movement in arm, wrist or hand. As June 2013, bicep, elbow, shoulder function active, flexing with gravity, still no wrist or hand/finger function.

Ronald McDonald House in Philly

Post by gawilliams »

I am looking at the Ronald McDonald House in Philadelphia as our Pediatrician is making a referral to the Shriners Hospital In Philadelphia with Dr. Kozin. Does anyone have any experience with the RMD Housing? Any information would be helpful. Thank you
marleneross
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Lindsey - ROBPI - 12/15/2009

Re: Ronald McDonald House in Philly

Post by marleneross »

See the hotel near Shriners Post a few weeks ago. I belive it has all of the information listed. When you call for your appointment you can ask them about it.

Ronald McDonald House in Philadelphia
3925 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104 USA
Phone: 215 387-8406

Ronald McDonald House in Philadelphia
100 East Erie Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19134 USA
Phone: 215 291-0907
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

It is a wonderful place and there is a shuttle to Shriner's too. A good opportunity to be with other parents too. Both you and your child will benefit from staying there. :)
HUGS,
"Gramma" Carolyn J
LOBPI/72

PS...I'll try to bump up the topic thread on Shriners
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
gawilliams
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter born 8/16/10 has OBPI in the right arm....First surgery(nerve graft) done at 5 months(performed by Dr. Kozin).... four avulsions, one rupture (at the spine)..... As of 4/9/11 still no movement in arm, wrist or hand. As June 2013, bicep, elbow, shoulder function active, flexing with gravity, still no wrist or hand/finger function.

Post by gawilliams »

Thank you.

Carolyn J wrote:It is a wonderful place and there is a shuttle to Shriner's too. A good opportunity to be with other parents too. Both you and your child will benefit from staying there. :)
HUGS,
"Gramma" Carolyn J
LOBPI/72

PS...I'll try to bump up the topic thread on Shriners
mamaofsix
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Second son, Cameron, left obstetric brachial plexus injury in 2005.
Primary never graft surgery at 3 months old at St. Louis Children's Hospital
and several rounds of Botox injections.

Post by mamaofsix »

There are 2 RMH that you can stay at when you go to the Shriner's. The one in Philly is the newest, and it is very nice and the other is in NJ. That one is nice as well. They are very hospitable and dinner is served nightly at both locations. Shuttle service is based upon volunteers, so there is not a guarantee that it will be available when you are there. You may want to check and see when you reserve a room. You call to get on the wait list when you know the dates that you will be there, then you call the morning you are coming in to see if there is availability. There has been a couple of times when we could not get in and we stayed at the Holiday Inn Cherry Hill, NJ (which is very nice) for a rate of 50.00 per night. This is the Ronald McDonald House rate. It is approx. 15-20 mins from the Shriners. Traffic from NJ can be crazy, and there is a toll fee of 4.00 when you exit. We always rent a car, since it is easier for me to deal with since I have the car seat for my 2 year old and we like to be able to get up and go other places after our appointment.

Feel free to email me at stlbpi@yahoo.com

Anise
gawilliams

Post by gawilliams »

Thank you. I was looking for a Holiday Inn or something like that. I am not from up north. We are from SC and we are driving up there. Thanks again.
mamaoftwo wrote:There are 2 RMH that you can stay at when you go to the Shriner's. The one in Philly is the newest, and it is very nice and the other is in NJ. That one is nice as well. They are very hospitable and dinner is served nightly at both locations. Shuttle service is based upon volunteers, so there is not a guarantee that it will be available when you are there. You may want to check and see when you reserve a room. You call to get on the wait list when you know the dates that you will be there, then you call the morning you are coming in to see if there is availability. There has been a couple of times when we could not get in and we stayed at the Holiday Inn Cherry Hill, NJ (which is very nice) for a rate of 50.00 per night. This is the Ronald McDonald House rate. It is approx. 15-20 mins from the Shriners. Traffic from NJ can be crazy, and there is a toll fee of 4.00 when you exit. We always rent a car, since it is easier for me to deal with since I have the car seat for my 2 year old and we like to be able to get up and go other places after our appointment.

Feel free to email me at stlbpi@yahoo.com

Anise
katep

Post by katep »

I just love the RMDH in Camden, where we've stayed most of our visits to see Dr. Kozin. It's like being home but someone else cooks dinner and drives us around! It's always like a little mini-vacation for me, especially since the last few times I've taken Joshua on my own to Philly. I also really like getting to know the other parents who are also staying there, especially those who are also shuttling back and forth to Shriners. Those stays have been a precious experience for me and the few times we've stayed in a hotel instead just pale in comparison. With the RMcDH and the van they provided, I was able to relax more than at home, even when my child was having procedures. That's pretty special...

Kate