Tips on getting around with one arm.

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
swhite1
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Bad fall in June of 2006
LTBPI

Re: Tips on getting around with one arm.

Post by swhite1 »

BRabbit I'm four years this past Friday. I have broken my front teeth. I have a tear (that's all they say it is with grim faces after extensive testing like MRI'S) on my right arm, the good one now gone bad, and there is no recourse. For them to repair it would mean total dependancy on home/health care for up to 6 months.

All I'm saying is don't use your teeth.
G-man
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LBPI

Post by G-man »

HI GUYS
TO CUT NAILS ON GOOD HAND...I GOT MYSELF A NAIL CLIPPER WITH A PLASTIC SHELL/COVERING/GRIP.NOW I CUT NAILS USING MY TEETH,YIP :D I STAND INFRONT OF THE MIRROR WHILE CUTTING TO HELP WITH THE VIEWING OF MY NAILS/FINGERS SINCE HAND SO CLOSE TO FACE.THE PLASTIC GRIP/COVERING/SHELL ON CLIPPER ABSORBS THE SHOCK AGAINS MY TEETH WHEN IT CUTS THROUGH THE NAIL.
I RINSE THE CLIPPER IN HOT WATER BEFORE USE AND USE A MOUTH WASH AFTERWARDS TO KILL THE GERMS THAT MIGHT OF BEEN ON CLIPPER:P
cristinam

Post by cristinam »

I try not to let my nails on the good hand grow out too long, and usually just file them down. easier ;)
Brenda333
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter has global palsy (c5-T1 injury) 5 surgeries at Texas Children's by Dr
Laurent, Shenaq, and Nath. 1st Surel graft 2nd Intercostal transfer 3rd Latisimus Dorsi transfer with subscapular release 4th Pec release 5th Bicep lenghtening, (which weakened her bicep, and contracture returned.) Has went through serial casting with fair results. Her arm is about a hand shorter then the other. She has limited hand function. (able to grasp) Arm stays pronated. Unable to get to neutral. Now dealing with sternoclavicular subluxation. All that being said....She is very functional. She is a very determined, strong, tenacious young woman. Now 15. She plays the trumpet, french horn, drums, guitar, and now learning piano. Has always played on a softball, and basketball team. Until recently, for fear of further injury due to the sternoclavicular subluxation. (separation of colarbone from sternum) Not sure if all this is spelled right.
--

Post by Brenda333 »

Brenda
BPI Connection
http://www.freewebs.com/wbpic
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

This IS a GREAT Topic Thread. I find it most helpful and I am working on reading EVERY post.
Please keep this going n CURRENT! :mrgreen:
Carolyn J
LOBPI/72 yrs surviving 8-)
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
twatson603

Post by twatson603 »

21 years had passed before I finally could clip my nails on my good arm, when I had a baby boy. Babies of course need their tiny little nails clipped and you can buy these special clippers with a magnifier. While the magnifier was great to clip his nails, it didn't serve much use for my purpose. But what helped was the plastic grip that attaches the magnifier to the clippers.

With the bulkier and non-slip grip, it made the perfect fit for my hand with the injury. Attached is a sample photo. Hope this helps.
Attachments
pTRU1-3873446reg.jpg
pTRU1-3873446reg.jpg (6.46 KiB) Viewed 4578 times
AngelaW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: X

Post by AngelaW »

It's so funny that the discussion has come back to nail clipping, as this it what began this post lol. :D I think it is maybe one of the most difiicult things to figure out how to do with one hand. Seriously, try a large toenail clipper on the floor with your foot working the lever (the bottom of the foot on the leverpressing down to squeeze.) You will be surprised how accurately this works.
I also added a picture of my mini-vise. It only costs about $30 and has been incredibly useful too. I have been able to do many delicate jewelry-making techniques that I thought I would never be able to do again. You can kind of see a necklace I made. :)
Attachments
mini vise.jpg
mini vise.jpg (23.85 KiB) Viewed 4566 times
I hope everyone likes my nailpolish hahahahaha :P
I hope everyone likes my nailpolish hahahahaha :P
nail clipper 2.jpg (20.05 KiB) Viewed 4563 times
nail clipper 1.jpg
nail clipper 1.jpg (18.71 KiB) Viewed 4566 times
AngelaW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: X

Post by AngelaW »

Has anyone figured out good ways to hold a bowl or pan up so you can use a spoon with your good hand to scrape stuff out (like cake batter or soup)?
The only thing I've found so far is an OXO Goodgrips plastic mixing bowl from Target. It's very light and has a large rubber lip on one end that I can actually grip with my teeth (without breaking them) to hold the bowl while I use my good hand to use a spatula or spoon to scrape out whatever is in the bowl.
onepaw

Post by onepaw »

Tying boots: Shut the slack end of your show laces in a door and pull the working eand with your good hand. If your door has too much gap, get some rubber "bowl holder" material from your local ot, and staple it in with construction staples.
jmar
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: brachial plexus stretch during thoracic outlet syndrome surgery on may 18, 2010.

Post by jmar »

on scraping batter out of a bowl: get a V-shaped wedge that is heat resistant and sit your bowl or pan on it that works for me.