My latest arm surgery

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
cristinam

Re: My latest arm surgery

Post by cristinam »

Ouch!!! Can't imagine the pain you've been through with that. All worth it for the end result though!!
Looks like it's healing up really well. && I concur nice cast :D. Can't wait to hear about all the gains when the cast comes off! Praying for a GREAT and quick recovery for ya! :)
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

it definitely looks painful, but the cast colors are very cool! :mrgreen: wishes for a speedy recovery!
~Mel/23/LOBPI
hilltopfwb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: May 24, 2008 an 88 year old lady did not see me and pulled out while I was riding my 06 HD Street Glide. The accident resulted in 9 broken bones and brain hemorrhaging. The accident's most serious results was two avulsions confirmed in my C6 & C7 vertebrae. In Oct of 08 Dr. Li of Wake Forest University performed nerve transfer lasting around 8 hours in surgery. I have limited use now of my left arm. It took until July of 09 before it moved at all, and now is moving limited. I experience burning pain in my left hand, staying busy helps keep the mind off of burning. I visited the Mayo Clinic May, 2010 and consulted with their brachial plexus team. May 1, 2012, I underwent a muscle transfer at Wake Forest University. This surgery was deemed a success and I have more movement in my arm.

Post by hilltopfwb »

I hope that your recovery does tremendous! Thanks for keeping us up to date...please continue.
AngelaW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: X

Post by AngelaW »

2 more weeks and the CAST IS OFF! Thank god. I do not recommend a cast in july. I tried to get a week taken off for "good behavior" but no dice heheh :lol: . I can't wait to see my hand again and maybe be able to flex my arm. I will take pics. :)
Last edited by AngelaW on Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
gimpyfireman2010

Post by gimpyfireman2010 »

Thats awesome news!!!

Hopefully the time will fly.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

:) :) 8-) Keep on keepin' on Angela, you're doin' great!
((((HUGS))))
Carolyn J
LOBPI/72 :roll:
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
marlene1959
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Motorcycle Accident-passenger (May 07) RTBPI (avulsion), closed head injury, diminished sight in right eye, Broken neck,wrist,ankle,clavicle, burst T6 (surgical intervention),ribs, fractured facial bones. In coma for 5 weeks, rehab 5 weeks. Back to work 3 1/2 months post accident. Referred to Mayo from Louisville Hand Center. Brachial Plexus Reconstruction at Mayo February 2008. January 2010-showing small signs of nerve activity. Was last seen at Mayo July 2010 and was told I did not HAVE to return unless something changed....am still dealing with the disappointment of being told this. I'm afraid my surgery was performed too late (9 months post accident) to be successful.

Post by marlene1959 »

So happy for you......I am sure this surgery will "do the trick" and get you further down the road to recovery. Will be praying!! :D
AngelaW

Post by AngelaW »

Thanks so much for the nice comments and support everyone! :D I wasn't expecting it.
Since the tricep to bicep transfer and wrist/hand surgery are fairly common for bp injuries, I thought it would be helpful to post the pictures and info so that others can see what goes on inside some of the surgeries. Then they will hopefully. seem less scary and confusing. :)
AngelaW

Post by AngelaW »

Well, I got the cast off about 5 days ago and the results from the tricep-to-bicep-transfer have been pretty exciting. There is immediate bending in my arm, though I have to think about straghtening my arm for it to bend. My elbow area has been really painful as it stretches back out again, but now it is mostly fading and I have been feeling good enough to really try flexing. The combination of my shoulder surgery with this one is really going to be life-changing, I can already tell. I love not having to use my good arm to move my bad arm arounf all the time. I'm excited to see the progress in the next couple months. I will try to get a video. :)
My hand (on the other hand) is still extremely swollen and stiff. I think I will have to get the swelling down before I can start to see some of the benefits. It looked really hideous right out of the cast and my thumb was at a weird angle. Thankfully as some of the swelling alleviates, my thumb now looks like it's normal. Dr. Elhassan is hoping for me to be able to grip and straighten my fingers.....
It does make a huge difference having the wrist fused and flexion in the arm. I can walk in a straight line now without my floppy arm/hand pulling me off balance. I'm so far really glad to have had this surgery and will keep updating. I hope this helps shed a little light to people on what actually goes on in some of these surgeries ans what they can expect. :)
Attachments
cast off - Copy.jpg
cast off - Copy.jpg (13.65 KiB) Viewed 2449 times
AngelaW

Post by AngelaW »

The swelling has majorly gone down. (goodbye man-Hand) I was just able to steady a mixing bowl with my bad hand while i stirred with my good hand. First time in over 2 years I've been able to to that. Pretty cool for someone who loves to cook. :) I was also able to gingerly shake my aunt's hand today. It's really awesome to see such great results so soon after the surgery. It's like a have a fantastic new gadget attached to me. I bet it's more fun than an Ipad :P
So far I'm super pleased with this surgery and am looking foreward to the future :D