Disability Denied

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Alicia
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My son suffered a brachial plexus injury on Feb. 10, 2010. He has had no movement in his right arm since then. Had a neurologist who has referred him to Mayo in Rochester.

Disability Denied

Post by Alicia »

My son's claim for disability was just denied. Since he was an electrician and was involuntarily terminated because he can no longer do his job, what options does he have left? I'm astounded that they claim he is not disabled! Does anyone here have any advice? He is going to file an appeal, but really, where do they expect him to get a job to support himself. We (his parents) have been paying his bills, cobra insurance, etc., but we can't do this forever without jeopardizing our retirement funds. Help!
s8n

Re: Disability Denied

Post by s8n »

file apeal and get a lawyer they will only charge ya if ya win. be prepared for 2 years of living hell. we were just about on the street when they finally gave me mine. don't lose hope and do research and send them dr.'s notes and everything you can find about tbpi's send it to your lawyer. i know your saying why i have a lawyer trust me i did all the work too just works better believe me. keep your head up and don't let it get you down. also i wrote my senator and congresswoman that helps to but get the dr. stuff first cause they will want it. remember 2 years probably to the date of filing. wish you the best. now i get it everyones paid and i got 13,000 dollars back pay when they gave it to me. i bought 65 inch tv as a gift to myself (since i ride a recliner i wanted to do it right.) any other ?? just email me at danielscheper@hotmail.com
daniel aka "s8n" :twisted:
Alicia
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My son suffered a brachial plexus injury on Feb. 10, 2010. He has had no movement in his right arm since then. Had a neurologist who has referred him to Mayo in Rochester.

Post by Alicia »

Thanks for the advice, Daniel. He will do that, but how did you survive meantime?
s8n

Post by s8n »

i can only think of one answer for ya hun.....barely wish i had a better answer but we literally were weeks from being on the street.
daniel
s8n

Post by s8n »

if it helps ant i thought it was a lost cause too but i was determined. i wrecked a motorcycle and i could not work as my job was fixing motorcycles and my arm is totally gone. i got everything online i could find that pretained to my condition and gave it to my lawyer. oh and very important with just the injury to one arm doesn't cut it they say your not disabled if its just one arm so what i did was tell my dr. i was depressed which really isn't a lie but i didn't really want to admit it but i did. get him on depression meds post haste and get all that info to a lawyer. get dr. to write lawyer a letter of concern due to him not being able to work. i have full confidence that it will work it worked for me and saved my family from being homeless. do it quick cause if ya don't you'll have to start all over. good luck and email me with any concerns. glad to help a one armed brother in need.take care and tell him to keep his head up. that is important. he can email me if he needs someone to talk to.
daniel
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Keep appealling as many times as it take to get approved...I think I read somewhere on these Boards(can't remember which Forum.) :( that usually by the 3rd or 4th time it does work out...
Don't stop appeal no matter how long it takes!

Daniel, I always did TRUST that it'd come thru for you....(was it a test of some kind don't 'Ja think?...I trully don't know)
HUGS all around, :?
Carolyn J
LOBPI/72
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
s8n

Post by s8n »

well it depends but they always deny you at least once. but i think my lawyer begged the judge cause i call her every monday and every friday when i thought it was taking to long. lol i was very determined and desperate. call it what you will but ifyour determined to get it it will come thru.
daniel
bill de brooklyn
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: BP injury July 20, 1968 the result of an auto accident(c5). No surgery.

Post by bill de brooklyn »

since her son's case has been denied initially,it's important to have legal representation as soon as possible. I just went through this process several months ago. find an attorney that specializes in disability claims. You should also check to see if your son carried long-term disability insurance while he was employed. if he did have long-term disability insurance he must file a claim as soon as possible. long term disability is a separate specialty in the legal field. my experience has been that the disability attorney will be paid by Social Security.

this is a long process be patient. If your son's claim is approved there is a five month waiting period before any money is sent by Social Security. That is five months after the hearing whatever that is scheduled. Is your son eligible for unemployment insurance?

Bill
s8n

Post by s8n »

they add that five months in or they did for me. i got approved in june and got my backpay at the end of aug after 2 years of waiting.they took the 5 months out of my back pay.
daniel