TBPI and Breast Reduction

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
marlene1959
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Motorcycle Accident-passenger (May 07) RTBPI (avulsion), closed head injury, diminished sight in right eye, Broken neck,wrist,ankle,clavicle, burst T6 (surgical intervention),ribs, fractured facial bones. In coma for 5 weeks, rehab 5 weeks. Back to work 3 1/2 months post accident. Referred to Mayo from Louisville Hand Center. Brachial Plexus Reconstruction at Mayo February 2008. January 2010-showing small signs of nerve activity. Was last seen at Mayo July 2010 and was told I did not HAVE to return unless something changed....am still dealing with the disappointment of being told this. I'm afraid my surgery was performed too late (9 months post accident) to be successful.

TBPI and Breast Reduction

Post by marlene1959 »

Three years ago my husband and I were in a horrific motorcycle accident. We both survived (thank God) but I was left with a right side TBPI. I had Brachial Plexis reconstruction at Mayo in February of 2008 but since my nerves were fully avulsed, the surgery has yet to be fully successful, but there are positive signs of progress. My last visit (January 2010) I inquired as to whether breast reduction surgery would help with pain, make life simpler in the areas of dressing and grooming, and overall dealing with my TBPI. My question is this; has anyone with a BPI undergone this procedure and what was your experience with it? Thanks for any input, it is most appreciated!
Last edited by marlene1959 on Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Leah 83

Re: TBPI and Breast Reduction

Post by Leah 83 »

I have thought about breast reduction too, and my neurosurgeon said that he would sign off on it, but I am not decided if I would like to have another baby or not so I'm waiting. I will eventually end up doing it though, because the extra weight makes my shoulder hurt even worse. Another thing if you are an F or above I think insurance will cover it.
minniem

Post by minniem »

Maybe you have already done this but have you looked into getting fitted for a new bra. There is a lot of different styles now that might help without doing a surgery that might not help. After I got hurt I had to do this simply because I couldn't find one that I could get on. I went to a high end lingerie store where all they sold was bras and panties. I explained about my arm, my chest muscles, and the simple fact the only bra I could get on was my sport bra. The lady was so knowledgable and ended up ordering a bra for me to try which is what I in the end bought. It was not cheap but seriously it made my life a whole lot easier. I don't remember it reducing pain though.
Hope this helps.
Nicolette
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I had a RTBPI by Motorcycle accident, in March of 2006

Post by Nicolette »

I haven't looked into breast reduction but was wondering if anyone had the problem of the breast of there affected arm being a lot smaller than the other. I had nerve transfers that were "tapped" into my pec muscle and now I have the ever shrinking boob. I'm eithere going to need a reduction on my left or an implant in my right, lol. Thank good for gel inserts, I just load up the right side of the bra. :lol:
Nicolette
marlene1959
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Motorcycle Accident-passenger (May 07) RTBPI (avulsion), closed head injury, diminished sight in right eye, Broken neck,wrist,ankle,clavicle, burst T6 (surgical intervention),ribs, fractured facial bones. In coma for 5 weeks, rehab 5 weeks. Back to work 3 1/2 months post accident. Referred to Mayo from Louisville Hand Center. Brachial Plexus Reconstruction at Mayo February 2008. January 2010-showing small signs of nerve activity. Was last seen at Mayo July 2010 and was told I did not HAVE to return unless something changed....am still dealing with the disappointment of being told this. I'm afraid my surgery was performed too late (9 months post accident) to be successful.

Post by marlene1959 »

Nicolette
My situation is just the opposite! My breast on my affected side is larger than my unaffected side. I'm not sure why, but this is quite bothersome.....hopefully surgery will remedy this!! I have made peace with the decision to have the surgery and am anticipating helpful results.
Its1105
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: RTBPI - injured during a right cervical rib resection on 12/3/2008 for thoracic outlet syndrome. The doctor completely transected the lateral cord at C5-C6 Erb's pointe and the suprascapular nerve. Had a nerve repair done on 12/12/2008 to reattach the nerves. Did two years of OT. I have some issues with overuse issues with my left shoulder and also have come to find that my joints are hypermobile so I have instability in the joints which causes a lot of problems such as pressure and pain.

Post by Its1105 »

Nicolette,

Mine is the opposite as well. My breast on the affected side is actually larger as well. I think mine is due to lymph drainage and what not though based on my understanding of the injury. I think since the lymph nodes are near where the brachial plexus and nerves are the lymph nodes can be affected - not knicked or anything, but moved or hit so that the drainage might not be normal right off. Then if you are not able to move your arm normally it does not promote the drainage also. So fluid can build up in the area - including the in the pec major/minor area. That is how it was explained to me from a doctor at one point anyway.
--
Marie
RTBPI December 2008
C5-C6
minniem

Post by minniem »

My bpi side is smaller as well on the top. I have no pec muscles. Plastic surgeons now can restore a guys pec muscle aka inplant a fake one. Its actually kinda cool what plastic surgeons can do.

If you have the smaller side issue then you need a push up bra. If the shoulder is like mine in that it could be a ski slope then go with a racer back front closing push up bra. If need be pad the affected side to balance out your chest.
Leah 83

Post by Leah 83 »

My Bpi side is larger. Quick question for you girls, Have any of you ever used a bra angel? Do they work? Putting my bra on is a painful process. Unless my hubby is here to help. I have to latch it and put it on like a t-shirt which is painful for my shoulder, and arm. Just wondering?
marlene1959

Post by marlene1959 »

Having the surgery done July 29 at Mayos.......will post regarding my results as soon as I can!! Wish me luck.......... :)
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Good Luck Marlene!!
I'll pray for you on the July 29th.

HUGS,
Carolyn J
LOBPI/72 :roll:
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI