Man wth BPI climbing Mt Everest!!

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Allison-S

Man wth BPI climbing Mt Everest!!

Post by Allison-S »

IRVINE, Calif., March 29, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ ----Aiming to be the first person ever with Brachial Plexus Palsy to climb Mt. Everest and all of the Seven Summits (the highest mountain on each continent around the world), Paul Fejtek along with his wife Denise are getting closer to realizing their dreams while seeing to it that the dreams of others are fulfilled as well. What started as a small group of supportive friends and family has turned into much broader participation by many in an initiative known as the Everybody to Everest Challenge. These individuals are about to set off on an exciting charity trek to the Everest Base Camp in the Himalayas, which will coincide with Paul & Denise's attempt to reach the 29,029 foot summit of the earth's highest peak. All members of the team have been training for their high-altitude adventure to Nepal at the same time raising funds for the Challenged Athletes Foundation, an organization who provides grants for prosthetic limbs and specialized equipment enabling those with physical disabilities the opportunity to pursue active lifestyles through physical fitness and competitive athletics. So far, the Everybody to Everest participants have raised over $80,000 towards their ultimate goal of $290,290 ($10 for every foot in elevation to the summit of Mt. Everest).

(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20100329/LA77564)

"I remember as a child trying to figure out how to tie my shoes or button my shirt with one hand or play sports with all of the other kids - it was a real challenge," Paul recalls. "And now I'm about to attempt climbing the highest mountain in the world with my wife by my side and 23 friends pushing themselves up to Base Camp at 17,500 feet (a significant accomplishment in itself) while everybody is doing something incredibly worthwhile for the Challenged Athletes Foundation. The whole thing is just so exhilarating, surreal, and something for which I am quite proud," says Paul.

Paul lives in Orange County, California where his is a Managing Director of Hunter Wise Financial Group, LLC, http://www.hunterwise.com, a specialized investment bank providing corporate financing, merger, acquisition, divestiture and advisory services. Paul wholeheartedly believes that courage, creativity, and perseverance are the magical ingredients that can help each and every one of us overcome any adversity standing in the way of our dreams, whatever they may be.

The Challenged Athletes Foundation was founded in 1997 and has raised more than $25 million and has provided in excess of 4,500 grants to deserving athletes including among others, U.S. Paralympians and American soldiers wounded in Iraq and Afghanistan. To learn more about the Everybody to Everest Challenge or to make a donation on behalf of Paul & Denise or one of the team members, please visit: http://www.everybodytoeverest.com.

Media Contact:
Cindy Bertram
(310) 451-7181
cb@cindybertram.com
KimW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My daughter has a right obstetrical injury. She is 16.
Two surgeries include nerve graft and muscle release.
A great kid that plays soccer, rides horses, plays the piano
and clarinet.

Re: Man wth BPI climbing Mt Everest!!

Post by KimW »

Paul was featured on the cover of our Spring 2009 Outreach! You can view it online under Resources/Outreach.
Kim West
"Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them." Lady Bird Johnson
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: Man wth BPI climbing Mt Everest!!

Post by Carolyn J »

Thanks for posting this Kim.
HUgs,
Gramma Carollyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI