Tips on getting around with one arm.

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
bill de brooklyn
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: BP injury July 20, 1968 the result of an auto accident(c5). No surgery.

Re: Tips on getting around with one arm.

Post by bill de brooklyn »

I've purchased the dragon speaks software so that i can type on my computer. the software allows the user to speak and type while wearing a headset. It works out of the box and requires little training. I used it to type legal memorandums, letters, e mail etc. I worked for many years using the hunt and peck system but this software allows me to type as fast as I can speak.

Bill
Nicolette
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I had a RTBPI by Motorcycle accident, in March of 2006

Post by Nicolette »

I am new to this site, I have not had anyone that understands what it has been like to go through such a change in their life. It is nice to know I'm not the only one that gotten excited about getting a gar open or their shoes tided. Angela,
I wanted to let you know that I and a Pediatric and NICU nurse, so taking care of your own babies will be a breeze (at home you can place babies of the floor to clean them up).

My first time encountering the unopened jar issue was one I will never forget. My boyfriend was working up the street and wanted me to make him 8 PB&J sandwiches. I thought no big deal. The jelly jar had never been opened, so I tried everything and finely got by placing my crocks between my knees and off the lid went. Then there was the problem of getting the the Peanut butter spread. Lets see, I changed my shirt before I proudly delivered my hours worth of work with a smile. I used my abdomen and the wall the trap the bread.

My first assistive device was an electric tooth brush, my left hand could not quite get the up and down / side to side motion and I felt my nurses would appreciate my breath being fresh. I was determined to limit the amount of things that I purchased to make my life easier. I wanted to be able to use everything that I had before (those items where already paid for). I did end up buying a curved knife (like the ulu but from kitchen aide it's cheaper) and a used stand mixer, that made my Kitchen a little safer.

As for the lawn mower safety handle, I use soft wrist restraints from the NICU, they are Velcro so it's easy to take on and off.

Now trying to put my hair up in a clip, I twisted it then used the wall to hold it in place then put the clip it, works great. But I was eventually able to use the back of the couch or wall to hold my right hand up as I put it in a ponytail. I will never forget that day or when I french braided it. My mom is a hairdresser so she was the first one I called.

As for getting dressed I was most excited when I could get my bra clasped with one hand. I loved challeging my friends to do it. Not one has done it.

Nicolette
Nicolette
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

thats awesome!! i am OBPI, and i have use of my affected arm, but some of the things that you just touched on are so true! I cant braid my hair (unless its a little strand in the front) and i didnt learn how to put my own hair up until i was 17... so i feel you there!!
~Mel/23/LOBPI
minniem

Post by minniem »

I finally got to read all of this post and I don't remember what i wrote the first time either! :lol: So if I repeat something I am sorry for that. I don't use any real things designed for a one handed person because most of them were designed by a two handed person so thus you need two hands to use it.

Restraunts are a breeze now a days! If I know the restraunt nowadays I go online before hand and look at their menu. I take out a cute hot pink note card and write a note to the chef what I want and instructions on how I need it served. If I order something like steak I ask them to cut it but serve it so it still looks like it should excluding the cut lines. I always include a tip for their time. Works like a charm and I never have to worry. If it is a spur of the moment decision to go at the last minute to a restraunt then I order dessert! Yes, you read that right. Dessert is usually on the back of the menu thus the crazy thing never has to be opened plus it is so good. (My friends just giggle and chalk it up to my "list". After my accident I wrote a "list" of everything I wanted to do in my life.)

Learning to hold a measuring spoon in my mouth while I pour liquids into them allowed me to measure out medicine for my kids and bake again! Sounds weird but it works!

Dresses I use an antique button hook. There is a bent hook on the top for hooking onto zippers to pull them up. The actually button hook was designed originally for all those really tiny buttons women used to have. This works awesome for cuffs on long sleeve shirts! They are not hard to find either.

Diapers were easiest for me if you use the same technicue as nursing homes use which is to roll on the person on their side. My youngest was seventeen months old when I got hurt and I was a single Mom thus I had know one at all to help me ever! Thus I had to figure a way to change diapers at a toddlers speed from moment one of this injury! I always changed him on the floor on a towel. I rolled him on his side after I popped the velcro diaper tabs. I used my feet to hold him if I needed to but mostly I could grab toys with my toes and entertain him. Literally I had toys he only saw when it was time to change his diaper hence he loved it. Sounds funny but hey it worked. If the towel got something on it in the wash it went.

Hope this helps
minnie
AngelaW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: X

Post by AngelaW »

Wow, I haven't been on much as I've been recovering from yet another major surgery. I'm so glad that the ideas keep coming. :D
AngelaW

Post by AngelaW »

I hope I attached these pictures correctly....... My friends gave me one of the fancy one-handed cutting boards for christmas and I must say it's become indespensable in the kitchen. The lever is such a quick simple action that I use it to grip not only food for cutting, but anything that I need to have "held" in place while I use the other hand (like peeling the lid's off of tupperware or plastic tub items like cottage cheese and yogurt). I've never had to use a special knife, just a SHARP 8" chef's knife. The thing in the drawer is a more heavy-duty jar opener, and I also use the kitchen shears as an all=purpose item. In fact, I have a scissors in every room and one in my purse. It makes opening those stupid little ketchup packets much less "risky".
I also thought I present the fabled suction base toothbrush. I believe you can get them from the children's toothbrush section at wal-mart. :lol:

Ang :)
Attachments
The suction cup toothbrush.  Not hjust for children.  Don't worry, it comes in manly colors too. :)
The suction cup toothbrush. Not hjust for children. Don't worry, it comes in manly colors too. :)
Toothbrush.jpg (7.97 KiB) Viewed 4604 times
Kitchen setup
Kitchen setup
Kitchen.jpg (15.84 KiB) Viewed 4611 times
Cowboy Cody

Post by Cowboy Cody »

I have a can opener that is called "One Touch" it works great. All you do is put it on top of the can and push the button down for a couple of seconds and the opener does all the rest. It's run by batteries. :mrgreen:
AngelaW

Post by AngelaW »

I finally figured out how to paint my nails! Victory! I've found that instead of holding your hand with the fingers pointed away from your body, and then painting "outwards" (which offered no control), I instead hold my hand with my fingers pointed towards me (The same way you hold your hand when you bite your nails). I then hold the brush in my mouth and paint in a downward direction. Doing it that way gives me a lot of control over the brush so the polish goes on evenly.
To any guys reading this, trust me when I say it's a very big deal for a woman to be able to paint her own nails. :)

For hair, my best discovery has been to use a boar bristle brush. I have long, thick, curly hair and trying to use a normal brush or comb was really painful because I couldn't use my other hand to hold my hair to keep it from getting pulled out by the brush. With the boar bristle brush (which is better for you hair anyways) it detangles my hair quickly and pain free. What a relief.

I also can get my shoes tied with one hand, though I can't think of a way to describe how :)

For what it's worth I was also able to get my very heavy microwave onto the top of my fridge by my self with only one arm, a bad knee, and a rather wobbly chair. (and I'm a 5'4" asian girl, not a tall,super-muscled he-man) . Now I share that because though it's unrealistic to think that we can do absolutely anything a two armed person can do (please, I mean that very very loosely as I think we can do most), people in our condition can do a helluva lot and shouldn't ever need to feel dependent or less capable. It's just a matter of rethinking our methods and techniques for one arm instead of two. :)
ps, please no one try this on my advice and then hurt yourself. I have nothing worth suing over unless you want to "own" my mayo clinic bills ;)
cristinam

Post by cristinam »

Congrats Angela on the nail painting! (this is a big deal!!!)

Noow... question for you, how do you see what you are painting so you don't get the polish all over your fingers? Do you paint them in front of a mirror?
AngelaW

Post by AngelaW »

I just look down. No mirror. I used the nail-biting analogy to give an idea of what position my hand is in. My hand is usually like that but bent at at a right angle with the fingers ponted slightly down (towards the floor) My hand is held far enough away from my face to accomodate the length of the nail polish brush that I can see what I'm doing. Give it a try and you'll see what I mean :) ..........and don't paint over nice carpet...hahahaha.