Anyone Here?

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
brentr6
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Motorcycle accident Oct 8, '06. TBI and LTBPI. Brachial Plexus Reconstructive surgery at the Mayo by Shin/Bishop/Spinner Jul '07. Gracilis muscle transfer for new bicep is working somewhat, still have a way to go-no hand-to-mouth motion yet!

Anyone Here?

Post by brentr6 »

Just got in Rochester last night for three appointments today at the Mayo. Wanted to see if anyone is here. Oh yeah, and I rode my motorcycle here from Ohio. Magnificent two day trip and it was wonderful, the different smells from the land--life...Incredible!! My cell is 937.287.3669 and I'm staying at the Ramada.
swhite1
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Bad fall in June of 2006
LTBPI

Re: Anyone Here?

Post by swhite1 »

Hi Brent. Good luck with your appointments.
How are your arms and hands that you can ride and what do you ride?
My older brother works on U.S.NAVY subs. Retrofit, repairs, etc..
He has been to Scotland, Connecticut, Virginia and now San Diego.
He may have been elsewhere I just don't know.
But this time he rode his Road Glide from New Hampshire to San Diego.
What an awesome ride.
Someday I sincerely hope to ride again.
There is nothing like it.
Later,
Scott
brentr6
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Motorcycle accident Oct 8, '06. TBI and LTBPI. Brachial Plexus Reconstructive surgery at the Mayo by Shin/Bishop/Spinner Jul '07. Gracilis muscle transfer for new bicep is working somewhat, still have a way to go-no hand-to-mouth motion yet!

Post by brentr6 »

Hey Scott,
Sorry about the long delay...my appts went well. I may do a Botox injection in my tricep to allow my new bicep to strengthen. I'm having co-contractions and the tricep is so much stronger its not allowing the bicep to contract to strengthen. They were pleased w/everything else though.

I hasve enough use out of my hand to work the clutch and I'm still getting more use as time goes w/thumb controls (turn signal, hi/low-beam, horn, music vol). My hand is strong enough to hold on tight. I ride an '09 two tone RootBeer Street Glide. I put a detachable tour pak on it for more space to carry my junk.

I was stationed in Hahn AB in West Germany (at the time) for three years and thats where my son was born, Offutt AFB in Omaha NE for lil over six years and my two daughters were born there, then at an Army post Ft. Meade in Maryland 15 mins S. of Baltimore and 20 mins N. of D.C. for four years, then 10 years here at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton OH. I was just forced to Retire after 23 years back in May due to my injuries.

Thats real neat about your brother, thank him for me for his service! My father-in-law was in the Navy for four years. I bet that was a nice ride! I wanted to take a long one this past summer, it'll have to be next year probably though.

You're right...there is nothing like it! It's one of the few things that I loved to do prior to my accident that I can still do. It helps me tremendously psychologically too. I also had a Traumatic Brain Injury w/my TBPI. I don't compute everything quite like I used to.

Stay positive, you'll be back in the saddle and we'll have to meet up and ride out and see your brother!!

God bless,
Brent
bensmom

Post by bensmom »

My husband is just going to miss you. He left early this morning for the 17 hour drive out for his appointments tomorrow. Glad you had a good visit!