Is surgery worth a try?

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
karolm

Is surgery worth a try?

Post by karolm »

My Brachial Plexus injury was caused by a car accident in January. My doctor says that 3 of the nerves are completely pulled out 1 is 85% pulled out and only 1 is in tact. I am told that I will never have any use of my arm below the elbow. Surgery is scheduled for October 6 to see if 50% usage from shoulder to elbow is possible.
I don't know if I should go through with the surgery. Is it really worth it for that amount? If I can't have use of my hand why is the upper arm necessary?
Could someone please help me with this decision? My family wants me to have it, but I don't know.

Thank You
AngelaW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: X

Re: Is surgery worth a try?

Post by AngelaW »

Hello. Sorry to hear about your accident. While I can't tell you whether or not surgery is for you, I can share some of my own experience and hope that that will help. My arm is pretty much dead. I had nerve transfers but it is still too soon to see the effect from those. I did, however, have tendon and muscle transfers to fix my shoulder which has had more immediate results and I can say that the difference from having a non-working shoulder to a working shoulder, even with the rest of the arm not working, is like night and day. I can guide my arm instead of always using my other arm to move it so stuff like getting dressed doesn't take forever. Also, if the upper arm works, you might be able to bend your elbow which is a big deal. If I had to choose between the hand working, or flexion in the elbow, I would choose the elbow.
Good luck, and I hope this helps :)
Ang
troy

Post by troy »

trust me mate if someone said i could have my hand or elbow flexion. its elbow flexion all the way.
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Post by cbe411 »

it really is a personal thing!

I have had 3 surgeries... Cant really say that any were SUCCESSFUL... but I have the use of my hand now and would give almost anything for some elbow flexion!

If you want to give it a go... do it! If you dont, then dont do it!

The best advise I was ever given... make a decision and go with it! If you want to go the surgical route... head on 100%! If you want to NOT go surgical... head on 100%!!

It is up to you!!

Keep us posted! Best of luck!!

Courtney
RobertRacer
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 9/23/07 - LTBPI / Motorcycle collision

Post by RobertRacer »

Have the surgery!

Some is better than none anyday. A scar is just a scar. I have only regained partial use from my surgeries and I'm thankful everyday for what I've gained.
Robert - LTBPI/34/AL - Yamaha meets Ford Expedition....not good.
Janet Lee

Post by Janet Lee »

Sorry to hear about your accident. I was in a snowboarding accident in Mid march that left me with stretched nerves affecting my tricept and deltoid. I had a surgery done on September 21st and had amazing results. The doctors ended up not having to do the nerve transplant. They scraped away some scar tissue to begin with and did an EMG. That EMG showed recovery in my arm right away so they decided to let me heal on my own after that. It's only been a little under 2 weeks but I am already able to hold my arm above my head and flex and everything. Please have the surgery. You never know what may happen. I was all set for a full nerve transplant like they had talked about but they ended up not having to. It can only get better.
peterabb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA 3/15/08 (TBPI)
Avulsed C-5, 6, 7, 8 T-1
Mayo Total BP Reconstruction 7/15/08
Pain issues

Post by peterabb »

It depends what surgery you are having, I was in a very bad car accident as well about 1 1/2 year ago - I was almost killed. I avulsed all five nerves. I had the complete BP reconstruction at the Mayo Clinic. Dr Spinner put it to me this way - "a little to someone with nothing is a lot" So far after 14 month I am now bending my elbow - its now a matter of strengthening. I would absolutely recommend having surgery especially since you have one in tact nerve - they can "borrow" from that nerve root to restore function
Janelle54

Post by Janelle54 »

My auto accident was Jan 2, 2007.

I had several surgeries to try to bring movement and feeling back into my arm below the elbow. They all failed. I had my left arm amputated just above the elbow on Nov 21, 2008. I have shoulder movement. I have a prosthesis that attaches to my upper arm. The movement of my shoulder allows me the ability to utilize the prosthesis.

I would have the surgery to try to regain movement. The more ability you have the better chances you have to gain ability to use your arm with or without a prosthesis.

Having the amputation was a good decision for me. My arm was dead from the elbow down. The amputation made it so I don't have to wear a sling and stress my right shoulder. It also made it so I don't have too worry about injuring myself without knowing it.

I severely burned my palm on my toaster oven and didn't know it till my therapist saw the blister on my palm. I had a second degree burn that was close to third degree.

Best of luck with the decisions you have to make. Do what you are comfortable with and stop them when you feel you've had enough.

Please keep us posted.
Janelle