Choosing an OBPI doctor

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
jilljordenspitz

Choosing an OBPI doctor

Post by jilljordenspitz »

Hello. My 27-month-old son, adopted 10 months ago, needs surgery on his right shoulder. He doesn't need a nerve transfer, we've been told, but a muscle or tendon transfer. He can lift his arm to shoulder level and has very little exterior rotation.

Our local doctor told us we've had to choose between a surgery that increases lift and a surgery that increases rotation, so we hoped to use Dr. Nath, who said his surgeries address both problems.

BUT, our insurance has denied Dr. Nath. It will, however, cover the following doctors/hospitals. I'd really appreciate any input from anyone who has used them - and whether they address both lift and rotation or only one:

Dr. Vincent, Tucson
Shiners, Philly
Mayo Clinic, Rochester
Children's Hospital, Boston
Cincinnati Children's

If you'd rather contact me directly, the address is jspitz@azstarnet.com

Many thanks,
Jill
nkjacoby
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Nicholas is 11 years old and his birth was complicated by a severe shoulder dystocia resulting in a severe LOBPI. He has had 5 surgeries to date with very little improvement. His left arm has never fully gained any functional use and has been completely flaccid until his last surgery. It now sits at a more natural position, but he is still unable to use his arm. However, his hand function was never limited until after his most recent surgery and is now completely limited due to an ulnar nerve entrapment. He is getting ready to have his 6th surgery in April to free the ulnar nerve from his last surgery. He is an amazing young man who never gives up on his dreams. He is my HERO!!!

Re: Choosing an OBPI doctor

Post by nkjacoby »

Good morning. We have used Children's Hospital Boston. If you would like to hear about our experience, I would prefer to do so via email. My email is njacoby499@yahoo.com. Our experience was very good with Dr. Waters. I can go into further detail the procedure Dr. Waters did for our son. I look forward to hearing from you. Have a great day.
Mom to Nicholas 11 LOBPI, Dawson 7, and Kalyssa 5
Tessie258

Post by Tessie258 »

Dr. Vincent in Tucson!!!! WE LOVE HIM!!!

He is awesome! Here is his contact info:

http://www.orthoforkids.com/index.php?o ... &Itemid=18

I can't say it enough we really love him..he has been awesome to us.
lawrey

Post by lawrey »

We see the doctors at the mayo clinic. We have yet to have anything other than the nerve surgery thus far, but are very pleased with the group of doctors there.