(NON BPI Related) Our First Disney Vacation!

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
tylergsmom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Hi! I am Laura, the mom of Tyler, who has a ROBPI. I've been a member of this site since 1998 and owe a great deal to the wonderful people in the UBPN community who have helped us along the way get what we needed to get done for Tyler. Tyler is now 14 years old and in the 9th grade. He's a super bright kid and loves his video games. Tyler had the mod quad surgery with Dr. Shenaq shortly before he passed. That was his first and only surgery. Now that he is older he is requesting additional surgery. He'd like to be able to supinate. Our goal is for Summer 2013.

(NON BPI Related) Our First Disney Vacation!

Post by tylergsmom »

Hey All! We are planning our first trip to DW during the week of Thanksgiving. We (the kids) are uber excited!! Does anyone have any suggestions for or know of any dinner theater shows? I keep hearing about Alien themed shows, or mob (family friendly) themed shows, but I can't seem to find any websites or find any info on it. I found one at the Polynesian Village (Magic Kingdom) called the Spirit of Aloha, but it's a lot of dancing and singing. I have 2 boys...not so sure they'd enjoy that. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

~Laura
Mom of Tyler, age 11, ROBPI
Laura LeNoir, Mom of Tyler, Age 14, ROBPI
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Re: (NON BPI Related) Our First Disney Vacation!

Post by Kath »

DW is great! We took our kids a few times and the place they enjoyed the most was our stay in Frontier Land. They had a show your boys would probably enjoy. My son was young (about your boys ages)it was great for him.

Have you checked out the official Disney website?

We were there with all our children and grandchildren a few years ago and they had shows for all ages.

Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
tylergsmom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Hi! I am Laura, the mom of Tyler, who has a ROBPI. I've been a member of this site since 1998 and owe a great deal to the wonderful people in the UBPN community who have helped us along the way get what we needed to get done for Tyler. Tyler is now 14 years old and in the 9th grade. He's a super bright kid and loves his video games. Tyler had the mod quad surgery with Dr. Shenaq shortly before he passed. That was his first and only surgery. Now that he is older he is requesting additional surgery. He'd like to be able to supinate. Our goal is for Summer 2013.

Post by tylergsmom »

Ooooo....I heard about the capones show! That's the one I was trying to find. Where is that one at??

~Laura
Laura LeNoir, Mom of Tyler, Age 14, ROBPI
claudia

Post by claudia »

Laura:
Head to the bookstore. There are a million books on "doing" Disney and orlando. They can be very helpful in knowing ahead of time what the rides are like, when the lines are longest, etc.

One funny story tho. My husband and I went to Disney right before we got married (my family had a vacation home in Captive Island at the time). In our room was a "how to do disney" book left by the previous guests. So, we used it. Those guests had circled a particular ride, it had 5stars... so my hubby and I headed over there. Wellllll, neither he nor i like rides that move on their own axis (roller coasters are fine, things that go in circles-not). This was a ride that went on its own axis. Big time. We came off the ride GREEN. We had to go back to our room for an hour or two!!! So, JUDGE FOR YOURSELF!!!

have fun at Disney. my kids just asked to go back (they are 10, 14, 14 and 16 years old!!!)

claudia
lawrey

Post by lawrey »

We too are going on our first disney vacation ... we'll be there the week after thanksgiving though ... the 30th of Nov-the 7th of Dec. We're super excited!!
kimberlyzoe08

Post by kimberlyzoe08 »

Oh wow!! We too will be there the week after thanksgiving. It will be Zoe's second time the first being 3 yrs ago. We are super excited since she is a little older and she is helping plan what she wants to do. Some things to be aware of unless it's changed recently is that the charcters do not really walk around. When we went in 2006 some of the lines to see characters were longer than the ride lines. Character meals are fabulous though if seeing certain disney stars is a must on your list. We went to Chef Mickey and it was fabulous.
KimW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My daughter has a right obstetrical injury. She is 16.
Two surgeries include nerve graft and muscle release.
A great kid that plays soccer, rides horses, plays the piano
and clarinet.

Post by KimW »

I am no way affiliated with this site but I am a Disney nut and if you want some of the best tips and tricks then you need to visit http://www.intercot.com! It's a great site and so much fun. It really gets you excited for your trip!
Kim West
"Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them." Lady Bird Johnson
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

I went to disney over spring break during my sophomore year in college. my friend and i are roller coaster fans, and went on almost all of them, plus mission space and a few kiddie type rides because we went with another frined of mine whose child was 4 at the time. it was a great experience. we stayed at a hotel in kissimee and all around the hotel were many differnt themed dinner shows. i saw the arabian nights one and a western looking one advertised on that strip! Theyre not too far from the parks either!!
~Mel, 22, LOBPI
~Mel/23/LOBPI