Therapy thru the School

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Danielle

Therapy thru the School

Post by Danielle »

My son will be three in March and will age out of the early intervention program (called First Steps in Indiana) and begin being serviced through our school district. This really concerns me! I am a teacher in the school district and see the amount of time spent with children with disabilities and know what that service is often like. It is especially difficult when the child does not have any cognitive delays, like my son, who is actually quite bright.

I really need information from those who have gone through this process to know what to do and expect. His PT in First Steps has her own private practice as well, and we are going to pay her to do weekly medial therapy with him. My main questions are:

* What type of experiences have others had making this transition into the the school "educational" therapy?
* Is there any type of list available of things I should be asking for, like help with cutting, glueing, holding paper, zipping coats, etc. for me to look at so I won't miss anything?

Thanks for any help or ideas you can give to me! I am so fearful of this next step into the world of school and the things I know we will have to deal with! Right now, he is treated no differently by the children at his daycare, and I know with time and development that is some day going to change.

Danielle
karen419

Re: Therapy thru the School

Post by karen419 »

Hi Danielle. My daughter Brianna qualified through the school district to have an OT start with her in preschool. During the evaluation process, they assessed her strengths and weaknesses. They supplied special scissors and adaptive devices as needed. She is now in 2nd grade and through the school district is re-evaluated at the beginning of every school year and again, they provide any adaptive devices that she may need. They have been very supportive and have sent an OT into the room whenever she has any difficulty. They have her loop scissors, tape dispenser, provided a desk of sufficient height, drawers in the desk, a Benek splint and any other devices necessary. She has never had any developmental issues, so it's mostly adaptive devices we've been dealing with. She even holds her own in gym class, although her balance is off and even then, the teacher knows what would be too much for her. We don't set limits though, we let Brianna judge what she can and cannot do. I guess we are fortunate to live in a school district that cares and really helps the students with disabilities. I hope this helps you a little. Karen
CW1992

Post by CW1992 »

Hi! I'm sorry that I can't offer any help with your questions but thought I'd post some thoughts and share experiences. I personally didn't want to combine therapy with school because I feared that this would set my child apart from the others or force her to answer questions from classmates about why she needed to leave the room or have special help. I chose to schedule all therapy after school hours and not go through the system. I was worried about her missing time with her classmates and class routine while she was getting therapy that I felt we could get for her after school. I didn't want her to ever feel that she was missing out on anything during her school day because of her arm. I wanted her to learn how to adjust and to help build her confidence that she was as capable as any other kid. The things that she had problems with like balance and gross motor skills we worked on both at therapy and home. I made sure that she wore only clothes she could handle herself and supplies and snacks she could do herself so that she would not need help in these areas. I'd ask her daily if there was anything tricky at school that we should work on more at home. We'd come up with easier ways for her to do things. I think that in her early years this might have helped her to realize that she wasn't any different than the rest of the kids.

I do not know how severe your child's injury is and maybe he could benefit from the school program, especially if they monitor him closely for any needs he might have. It really depends on your child and what his needs are. I thought I'd post to voice a different perspective.
I also wanted to say to please try and not worry so much about your son and how he'll be treated. You hear awful stories here on the board sometimes but there are also lots of great stories. I think if your child has a good attitude, shows confidence in himself and makes friends easily he will be just fine - and from what you have said he already sounds like he is doing great.
Sorry this is so long,
Christy

Carole

Post by Carole »

We are being evaluated for school therapy but as i work at the school too I have a real sense she will not qualify. In our state OT is a related service and the child must show cognitive delays or speech delay. Our Kailtyn is blessed to be a year plus advanced so even though I am going through the process to document issues in OT I've been told she won't probably qualify. We will continue with private therapy. Wish it were different good luck gettignservices it can be tricky.
Cara
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My oldest daughter suffered a LOBPI. We were sent home form the hospital without being told anything was wrong. She had nerve graft surgery at one year of age, tendon transfer and release at 3 1/2 yrs of age.

Post by Cara »

I live in Indiana (South Bend) and I am teaching in Michigan now? Where are you from? Have you set in on an IEP before? You are on the right track with the cutting zipping and so on. Things to consider that can effect educational outcomes.

PE what is expected now and later on. Stopping therapy may not seem like a big deal now, but can cause problems later with skills assesed in a PE class.

Music: does your schools Music program combine movement in it. Several music programs are using Shirley Handy's (I think that is the corrrect spelling) movement techniques that reqire the students to use hand movments that cross the midline.

Art: Cutting, sculpture activiteis.

Writing skills: Can you determine your child's handedness. If your child has to write with the nondominant hand it can cause problems in neatness and speed of writing. Not that big of deal now, but can cause problems in testing and note taking later on.

Dressing, eating, and toleting issues effect the child as well. Therapy now can help a child become self sufficent by school age. Are they prepared to have an aid assist your child with these items in K if they ignore them now?

Below is a link to the transition guide from the state:
http://doe.state.in.us/exceptional/spec ... elines.pdf

I know I am in for an up hill battle for services since my daughter who is two scores very high on cognative assessments. Maybe we can work out some stratageies together. Feel free to email me with any questions or ideas you have.
Cara
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My oldest daughter suffered a LOBPI. We were sent home form the hospital without being told anything was wrong. She had nerve graft surgery at one year of age, tendon transfer and release at 3 1/2 yrs of age.

Post by Cara »

Sorry another thought popped in my head. I know several parents are against doing therapy in the schools because of the stigma it attaches. Personally I am trying very hard to figure out how we will be able to pay for therapy unassisted. We have insurance, but it is still going to be very difficult. If any one has a suggestion for what to do if you cannot get services therough the schools I am all ears.
claudia

Post by claudia »

We just completed this. Juliana goes to a private preschool, so her therapy is paid for by the school district/state at an approved therapy facility. The OT was easy, I think the school district sees bpi as an OT issue (thankfully). Juliana needs PT as well, she has balance issues, climbing stairs is a problem and she is at risk for scoliosis. However, when they did the Peabody test on her, she scored rather well. And cognitively she scored well, too.
I argued that they need to keep up the PT, because she was only able to do as well as she did, BECAUSE of the PT. But they didn't really agree. I had my PT write a letter and TCH wrote a letter. Both indicated that stopping therapy would cause a decline in her ability to function. The idea that they might cause that to happen was too much for them, and they gave in! So, she gets 90 minutes of OT a week and 60 minutes of PT a week. We supplement with her old therapists about 2X month.
One thing that would have helped us, but we got what we wanted anyway, was to have the testing therapists at the CPSE meeting. The agency's owner came, and though she was nice and generally very well versed in the system, it would have helped our cause to have the PT come in and explain why Juliana did well, and why it would harm her to not have therapy.
Remember that the Peabody is not a bi-lateral test...and, that they have to "fail" two activities in a row to end a level of testing. Even Juliana could manage a 1 (out of 4)on most of the stuff...
Try to learn as much as you can about the head of the committee too. Oh, and have your Early Intervention (birth-3) coordinator come too. Ours spoke to watching Juliana over the years and she has a lot of experience with kids, so that helped.
You can do it.
claudia
Danielle

Post by Danielle »

Cara,
Thanks for the ideas! I live in Wabash, about 2 hours south from South Bend (US 31 to US 24). I didn't really think about eating, carrying his tray, etc., and bathroom issues. I'll have to bring that up as well. I did mention PE and know that could be a problem. The nice thing is that I AM in the schools and that often means those servicing him will be much more aware of my presence and my knowledge of the law than other parents sometimes are. I hate to say that, but know it to be often true. Gage will have his evaluation at the end of February, I have your e-mail and will let you know what I find out. If you have any ideas or other info., let me know. My e-mail is dani_ojn@hotmail.com.

Our school is a CLASS school, so they are very aware of brain-based research and the multiple intellegences. I know this will help him because most of our teachers understand all students are different and have different needs.