is 50% normal?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
admin
Site Admin

is 50% normal?

Post by admin »

for an attorney to charge for a bpi case? this is a well known attorney that makes doctors and hospitals shake at the mention of their name but can this be fair? I was going to go with another out of state firm at 33% but was told that they would need to hire someone locally anyway and may not be as well known as this one firm and may not get as good a settlement so there would be the difference anyway. What would you do?
admin
Site Admin

Re: is 50% normal?

Post by admin »

Doesn't sound right to me. I have an out-of-state attorney and we are paying close to 40%, which is higher than most of my friends who paid more around 33%.

Does the 50% include all the expenses as well? That would maybe be a fairer # if so. I would get all the details, but more than anything else I would not sign any papers agreeing to that amount and I would certainly talk to other attorneys about your case and get their fees. And you are allowed to negoiate with them as well, or at least try.

I can't see how the case would get less money because of a local attorney, since your bpi attorney will be truly handling the case. Most of the attorneys cases are out of their state.

Good luck.
francine

Post by francine »

Did you see the post below about attorney's fees. Contact your courthouse and ask them if there are law pertaining to attorneys' fees for minors. I doubt if any judge will allow a fee of 50% for a minor but I'm not a legal person - ask your courthouse. Or maybe Ken Levine will be able to tell you - his contact info is on that post.

When you find out can you post your state and what you find out?

Thanks,
francine
francine

Post by francine »

here's ken's information
Ken Levine
BRL77@world.std.com
617-566-2700
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

50% AFTER the fees are deducted. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I agree with Francine. I doubt a judge would let that go through in a minor's case. However, personally, I wouldn't let it get to that point. There are excellent attorneys that wouldn't demand that high a price -- especially concerning a child.

He may make people quake but does he know anything about BPI -- there's a big difference.
stateilx3

Post by stateilx3 »

I am not a legal person either but that sounds ridicoulous, unless he can GUARANTEE 3-4 million dollar settlemet, I would look for a different attorney !