Giving birth again

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
rpy0222

Giving birth again

Post by rpy0222 »

I gave birth to my first child, a daughter, May 1st 2008, and because of the rough birthing process she now has a Brachial plexus palsy injury and currently has about 65% function of her left arm with no surgeries. The issue is that I am now pregnant again and scared and confused as what to do. I've gone through 4 Obstetricians. 3 have said I definitely need a C-section. The fourth said that I could try naturally but would be closely monitored. I'm scared to have a c-section, but more scared to injure my second child. There really isn't any information online on the subject and was wondering what your parents did, and how it turned out or if there are any mothers out there that had a child with a BPI, and then delivered another naturally.

Thank you for your help.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Re: Giving birth again

Post by Carolyn J »

Hello and WELCOME "rpy..."
FYI,There is a long topic thread on this subject/Question on the GENERAL MESSAGE BOARD some timein the last 6 months. I suggest you post this Question there also.

Also, you can find that Topic there by typing the phrase or word in the "SEARCH FORUM" Link box at the top of any page...however, EVERYONE is welcome on ALL Message Boards too.

Carolyn J
LOBPI/age 71
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
cdmurfee

Post by cdmurfee »

I have an older sister who was born with a very very mild case of BPI, and when I was on the way, a C-section was reccomended to my mother, and she refused it, and I have to live with BPI now, which is much worse than my older sister's. I don't mean for that to sound scary, but it's my situation.

-Chris 24/LOBPI
Tanner's Mom

Post by Tanner's Mom »

There are several moms out there who have gone on after a bpi birth to have vaginal births and not just vaginal births, but amazing birth experiences. I have had some great conversations about how incredible, empowering and healing their births were.

I have personally spent a lot of time attending workshops, reading and talking to professionals and the honest truth is....these permanent injuries happen from excessive traction applied by incompetent providers...just as incompentent providers also have csection screw ups.

It is NOT our bodies and it is NOT our babies or their size that result in injury. Most SDs don't result in injury because trained providers know how to handle the situation. Traction should never be applied (and never needs to be)and women should never birth lying flat on their backs/sacrums, as it closes the birthing canal and limits the space available for the baby to safely pass through. Have you watched Ina May's video on shoulder dystocia and how the baby SD/stuck baby literally slides right out when better positioning is used?

This is really such an emotional thing and such a personal thing. If you are up to learning more and truly interested in possibly having a vaginal birth, you can do it and you can do it SAFELY. It is so much about how we birth, the interventions, birth positions, hands-off the head deliveries, etc.

It is soooo hard to challenge ourselves and step outside of the fear, once we have been through this experience. I really see the tremendous (and understandable) fear that paralyzes our bpi community. It is soooo hard to trust anyone or anything. We have even lost trust of our own bodies, which is truly heartbreaking. Our bodies were designed to birth and we actually know how to do it very, very well. It is the current system and current practices that are leadaing to this unnecessary injury.

I know there are stories of second children being injured and although they are rare, they do occur. I also know these stories usually include using the same doctor, on the back birth positioning or several unnecessary birthing interventions, along with traction being applied to the head. If you can find a provider that understands the importance of not applying traction than there will be no bpi injury.

So, if you really want to learn more, there are lots of good resources out there. Books to read, videos to watch and some wonderful internationally known doctors and midwives out there that will be the first to tell you we don't need csections at all. However, our community has been DEEPLY wounded, and anxiety and fear consume us more than we probably realize.

I know of a few families who had babies injured with bpis from pulling on babies during csections, and one was a good friend of mine whose 1st child had bpi so she was set on csection to avoid it, yet in the doctors rush and tugging, her 2nd child was also injured. However, many, many, many bpi families have csections with following births and everything works out fine.

It's a hard call and one you have to search in your heart for. I am sure whatever you decide will work out for you and your family.

If you want to chat more, please drop me an email at Lisa@inreachaz.com

Take care and enjoy that little miracle growing inside you!

Lisa
Kellymg

Post by Kellymg »

Hello,

I was scared to death to give birth again...afraid it would happen all over again. I was induced 2-weeks early due to my first son being large. There were no complications and everything was fine. I had a healthy 8lb 6oz son...at 2-weeks early. I think communicating with your doctor is key, express your fear and just tell him/her what you want.
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

My second child was born with SD and a broken clavicle my fourth child was born with a BPI, both Vaginal Births. When I told the doctor this before delivering my fourth child, he told me that what happened to my second child had no relationship to what will happen to the fourth..... REALLY?????? Be careful, for good reasons, we are DONE, but if I did get pregnant again, I would tattoo on my belly, C-SECTION REQUIRED !!! :0)
GAYLE mom to Brandon 11 years old ROBPI

Message was edited by: brandonsmom
EBird49

Post by EBird49 »

I'm pregnant with my first child and have a LOBPI. I also have Gestational Diabetes, which is the usual culprit for large babies. I have told my Dr. that if a vaginal delivery could not be done safely, cut her out, ie c-section. II hope I don't offend you by saying this, but I don't understand what is the big deal personally. I would rather go through the discomfort of the c-section than to have my daughter experience any of the things that I had with a LOBPI. Even if she is "small" enough for a vaginal delivery, I will be praying that her shoulders make it out. If you can have the c-section, for the sake of your unborn child, do it. Her life will be completlely different with a injured shoulder than without one. But then again, I'm biased.

I hope you have a healthy baby.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Thank You for your Post, Ebird49.
Carolyn J
LOBPI/age 71
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Ebird,
I agree with you, BUT don't forget, it's not the same feelings for those of us who have an OBPI as it is for the mom's who don't. They may not see it in quite the same way.
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
candjwarner

Post by candjwarner »

This is a tough topic, and I don't think there are any right or wrong answers... I just had a fantastic delivery with no complications (a world of difference than when my son was born two years ago!). After careful consideration, we went with the vaginal delivery again. You can feel free to e-mail me if you want. It's a tough decision to make. It also requires really delving into exactly what happened during the previous traumatic birth. Not easy stuff emotionally speaking... No matter what, I hope all goes really well for you! E-mail me if you want to :D. candjwarner@yahoo.com

Jamie
mom to Titus, 2 years old, LOBPI