4 yr. old daughter about to have surgery...

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
kimanddavid@lafayettela.com

4 yr. old daughter about to have surgery...

Post by kimanddavid@lafayettela.com »

My daughter is scheduled for Sept. 1st to have surgery by Dr. Nath. She was born with ROBPI. The pediatrician caught it on day two, and she started therapy after a week old. She conitnued up to a year old, then I had my second child. I continued therapy at home all the time even when she was going to therapy three times a week. We are very blessed b/c she has really ragained a lot of function. She still cannot raise her arm above shoulder level, no external rotation, no behind the back movement, arm is shorter due to elbow not extending all the way, and her scapula is winged. I graduated in Kinesiolgy with a Minor in Exercise Science. So I have the knowledge background. I feel comfortable dealing with her. I have never treated her any different than my son and she knows that she has no limitations. I teach her that she can do anything she puts her mind to, it just might take some imagination! Her surgery will be Dr. Nath's MODQUAD procedure. I am getting anxious about it. I have heard great things, but am just wondering if it is the right thing for her. I read other posts about situations that are much worse than hers, and wonder if she will benefit from doing this procedure? Is it worth her to go through the long haul of recovery after the fact? Has anyone had this procedure?
ironmansmom

Re: 4 yr. old daughter about to have surgery...

Post by ironmansmom »

My son had modquad years ago with Nath and his overhead movement definately improved!! At 4 years old, you can still make post surgery rehab fun so I wouldn't worry about that. My child is 11 and had MQ done 9 years ago.
Rosebud

Post by Rosebud »

At four my daughter had the mod-quad with Dr. Kozin, and she definitely benefited from it. At nine years of age, she participates in archery, volley ball, soccer, and she is an excellent swimmer. And she is a straight-A student, also in our school's Gifted Program.

If you have any concerns, I would recommend that you contact Dr. Kozin at Shriner's in Philly. BTW, Shriner's is free, offers a wide range of additional service/suggestions and promises treatment until your child is 18. I can't speak about Dr. Nath.

All the best for you and your family.

Rosebud

Rosebud

Post by Rosebud »

All the best to you all. And, no, the nice blanket I received was made from the parents I met at the Ronald McDonald's house.

F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

Rosebud,

I hope that you get to meet Louise and her family one day. She's genuine and unconditionally loving. Too bad you decided to give her a wallop. She certainly didn't deserve this.

-francine
Tessie258

Post by Tessie258 »

Wow where did that come from? I use Dr. Vincent in Tucson AZ...and we love him...I don't guess I understand where Rosebud is coming from!
Louise you are awesome! Keep up the good work.
Hoping praying people show charity and love to each other....It's all we ultimately have to share.

Kim and David,
Best of luck to you and your precious baby girl. I will be praying for you on that day.
Teresa
katep

Post by katep »

I am guessing that I missed some "edited" posts???

Kate
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

you guessed right and I'm glad rosebud had a seemingly change of heart